Match Reports 2006-07

Archive Index



Stewarts & Lloyds Corby 0-0 Buckingham Town    Saturday, 31 March 2007
With just three matches to go S&L may need their fourteen point advantage over the two clubs occupying the relegation places. Buckingham have hope after a second successive clean sheet but the Robins have failed to score in six games. 

John Mackay and Bobby Drain had the best chances to win it for S&L.


Buckingham Town 0-0 Wellingborough Town 2004   Saturday, 24 March 2007
The Doughboys' promotion push suffered a setback at Ford Meadow as the basement boys put up stern resistance to claim their first point in eleven matches and their first clean sheet since October. Darrell Elliott grazed the post in the first half for Buckingham. Young keeper Tom Wiltshire gave an excellent performance in the Buckingham goal, while both Luke Pritchard and David Glass hit the woodwork for Wellingborough.

Buckingham remain a point adrift of Ford Sports while the Doughboys are now looking over their shoulders as Potton close the gap on them.


Boston Town 4-0 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 17 March 2007
The Poachers made it thirteen goals in three wins over the Robins this term with a predictable Tattershall Road success.

Gary Bull opened the scoring with a low shot on the quarter hour after cutting in from the left with Paul Goodhand adding a 39th minute second after Robins keeper Tom Wiltshire could only parry a Micky Nuttell cross. Goodhand scored his second from 18 yards fourteen minutes into the second half. Adam Castagnetti cleared Nuttell's header off the line but a fourth goal soon followed, Bull rounding off the scoring with ten minutes to play, converting a free kick after Goodhand was brought down by Robin Tucker just outside the box.


Buckingham Town 0-1 Stewarts & Lloyds Corby   Saturday, 10 March 2007
Buckingham's plight at the foot of the table is beginning to look desperate after this defeat against ten man S&L, who had goalkeeper Richard Lavin sent off for a professional foul after just twenty minutes.

Michael Stanton went into goal and made a couple of good saves and a 46th minute Bobby Drain goal gave the Corby club their seventh Ford Meadow win in eight seasons.

Buckingham Town 0-4 Boston Town  Saturday, 17 February 2007

Boston goal ace Gary Bull was in fine form as the Poachers saw off their out of sorts hosts at Ford Meadow.

The Robins, now without a point in eight games, fell behind two minutes before the break when Bull opened his account. He added a 54th minute second before being joined on the score sheet by Jonny Rowan after 63 minutes.

With a minute remaining Bull completed his hat trick to make it 33 goals for the season in UCL football.


Cogenhoe United 12-0 Buckingham Town  Saturday, 03 February 2007

Cogenhoe ran in the biggest goal tally of the Premier season with this demolition of a Robins side now bottom of the pile following a seventh successive defeat.

A 12th minute Carl Holmes effort started the goal spree with Scott Goodacre adding a 25th minute second. Richard Bunting added a 35th minute third with Holmes scoring his own second sixty seconds later and Rob Goldring coming off the bench to score on 38 minutes. Bunting's second on 40 minutes completed the first half tally.

The Robins continued to ship goals on resumption with Holmes netting on 47 and 50 minutes and Goldring making it nine on the hour. Teenage talent Steve Diggin added the next two after 67 and 80 minutes with Holmes taking his personal total for the afternoon to five with seven minutes to play.


Yaxley 4-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 27 January 2007
Yaxley's early onslaught brought them a convincing victory in this relegation six pointer against a Robins side without a win in fourteen games.

Chris Lenton gave the Cuckoos the lead on the quarter hour with further goals following quickly from Simon Acton after 20 minutes and Steve Burns two minutes later. Mark Paul's 17th goal of the season, a penalty on the half hour, wrapped up the win with Rory Brabant scoring a consolation for Buckingham with five minutes to play.

Ford Sports Daventry 5-0 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 13 January 2007
Fords moved out of the bottom four after finding their goal touch to inflict a drubbing on the fast falling Robins, who failed to make the most of a first half wind at their backs.

The Motormen made no such mistakes on resumption and quickly gained the initiative. Danny Wright opened the scoring after fifty minutes with a left footed drive after the opening was created by Tommy Waldock who promptly set up brother Ian to score a second two minutes later.

The home side continued to force the pace with Simeon Nembhard and Tommy Waldock both denied by the frame of the goal. 

In the closing stages Fords pressed home their advantage to make it a rout. Top scorer Jon Crockett netted goal number three after 80 minutes following a surging run on the right by substitute Matty Cox and fellow replacement Paul Currier found the target after 88 and 90 minutes to complete Fords' biggest win of the season.


Buckingham Town 1-4 Newport Pagnell Town    Tuesday, 26 December 2006
Newport's impressive derby success at Ford Meadow saw them climb to fifth place in the Premier while plunging the Robins deeper into trouble in the lower reaches.

Danny Nicholls gave Newport a 25th minute advantage, but it was his second goal three minutes past the hour which gave the Swans control. Abdul Abdi's 75th minute strike for the Robins threatened a home revival but the match was beyond Buckingham when Richard Armstrong scored a third for the visitors after 83 minutes.

Nicholls had the last word completing his hat trick in the final minute.


Raunds Town 3-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 23 December 2006
The Shopmates collected their first three point haul in seven matches with a win over a Buckingham side struggling for form.

After a goalless first half which saw the crossbar deny Danny Frid an opener for the Shopmates, Raunds went ahead after 47 minutes through defender Lee Dorrington who headed in a Dan Thompson cross, and three minutes later Matty Curtis doubled the Shopmates' advantage after rounding goalkeeper Reece Kirk. Buckingham replied after 57 minutes, Marcus McGillycuddy marking his return to Robins colours with a goal, but a second of the afternoon from Curtis from close range a quarter of an hour from time sealed a welcome win for Raunds.

With regular goalkeeper Chris Jones out injured Shopmates manager Colin Ridgway filled in between the sticks joining sons Dane and Callum in the Raunds line up!


Blackstones 3-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 09 December 2006
Stones revived their title bid with a first win in five outings at home to the Robins, who took a surprise lead through Chris Robson's well taken effort after nine minutes. Richard Thompson's 27th minute reply from an Elton Holmes pass hauled Stones on terms at the interval and they went ahead on the hour through Gareth Williams who fired home after Richard Jones headed down Kevin Ainslie's flag kick. Ashley Stevens punished a defensive error to wrap up the win five minutes from time.


Buckingham Town 3-1 Long Buckby   Wednesday, 06 December 2006  Buckingham Charity Cup Round 1
After twice losing to Long Buckby with league points at stake the Robins turned the tables to make cup progress. They had to win the game from the back after Vijay Sidhu gave the visitors a tenth minute lead. Chris Robson equalised after 31 minutes and the second half saw Buckingham take charge with goals from Dave Hocking on 72 minutes and Seb Klyne three minutes from time.

Buckingham Town 1-3 Northampton Spencer   Saturday, 02 December 2006
Spencer's potency in front of the net saw them move back into the Premier Division's top three on the back of this away victory, but the Robins are very much in the thick of the relegation battle after a tenth league and cup outing without a win.

The Millers took a first minute lead through Zac Nedimovic who headed in a Chris Davies cross from the left and they doubled their advantage on the half hour through Ben Foste who broke down the right, cut inside and rounded the keeper to slot home. Reuben Max-Grant's close range first half stoppage time reply for the Robins, his eleventh goal of the season, kept the game close but Foster's 16th goal of the season from a narrow angle a minute past the hour wrapped up the win for Steve Jelley's men.  


Buckingham Town 1-1 St Ives Town   Wednesday, 29 November 2006
The Robins halted a run of five successive defeats in league and cup by sharing the spoils with the high riding Saints at Ford Meadow.

Buckingham looked set for a confidence boosting win when Reuben Max-Grant and Chris Robson combined to set up Abdul Abdi who netted with a low shot after 67 minutes, but they were pegged back seven minutes from time by Will Fordham's equaliser for the visitors, a quickly taken free kick from distance catching out the home defence.


Deeping Rangers 3-0 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 04 November 2006
Patience was the watchword for Deeping as Buckingham put up stern resistance at Outgang Road before succumbing to three goals in the last half hour. in the first half Deeping's Andy Ellis was closest to breaking the deadlock, striking the crossbar with a 30 yard free kick. Sam Bettinson put Deeping on the way to their tenth win of the season after 63 minutes, heading in a John Paul Duncliffe corner, debutant John Stead came off the bench to add a second after 85 minutes, a 22 yard free kick, with Mark Baines completing the scoring from close range in the last minute.


Buckingham Town 1-2 Wootton Blue Cross   Wednesday, 01 November 2006
Two former Buckingham players were on target as Blue Cross took the points at Ford Meadow. Darrell Elliott, who started the season in Robins colours, gave Wootton a twentieth minute lead. Marcus Sawyer hauled the home side level  from the penalty spot after 71 minutes but Leon Cashman won the contest for Blue Cross with five minutes to play.


Buckingham Town 3-3 Blackstones   Saturday, 28 October 2006
A see saw contest at Ford Meadow saw the spoils shared. Reuben Max-Grant gave Buckingham the lead on the quarter hour with his tenth goal of the season, but within two minutes Stones were level through Ashley Stevens who converted a Graeme Epps cross. Buckingham had Ian Trott red carded before the break but Abdul Abdi restored the Robins' advantage ten minutes into the second half. Again Stones produced a quick response. Kevin Ainslie equalised after 59 minutes and sixty seconds later Stevens fired the visitors in front with his ninth goal of the season. Buckingham went down to nine men when Wayne Spencer was dismissed but nonetheless equalised in the last minute with Richard Smith the point saver from the penalty spot after he had been brought down.


Long Buckby 5-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 21 October 2006
The Bucks filled their boots despite having John Dowling sent off on the hour. Buckingham took a 20th minute lead through Danny Phillips but the contest was turned round by two home goals late in the first half, Matthew Higgins scoring after 38 and 41 minutes. Higgins completed his hat trick after 58 minutes. Richard Wesley completed Buckby's nap hand with a double after 76 and 86 minutes. 


Stotfold 2-1 Buckingham Town   Tuesday, 17 October 2006
Stotfold manager Mark Teeling enjoyed his first success at the helm as the Eagles avenged an opening week defeat by the Robins. Ryan Nichol gave Stotfold the lead on the half hour, scoring with a low shot  from an Adam Furness cross. Furness's 66th minute spot kick, awarded after Ian Thorne was pulled back by Dave King, doubled the home side's advantage. Danny Phillips replied for Buckingham after 84 minutes, netting from close range.


Buckingham Town 0-0 Raunds Town   Saturday, 14 October 2006
Raunds were unable to repeat their earlier FA Cup success at Ford Meadow as the improving Robins displayed greater resilience on this occasion to claim a second successive clean sheet. The home side enjoyed spells of greater possession but the visitors were the closest to a goal with the post denying Callum Ridgway in the first half. Buckingham are now unbeaten in three league outings while the Shopmates are unbeaten in five in the league. 


Holbeach United 0-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 07 October 2006
The Tigers are now without a win in five league and cup outings after Buckingham claimed their second win of the week to move into the top half of the Premier table. Early on a foul on Tom Gosling saw the Tigers awarded a spot kick but Reece Kirk saved from Ian Dunn. Both Dunn and Gosling had the ball in the net only to be denied by the assistant's flag. Nik Stewart scored the vital goal for the Robins after 74 minutes. 


Northampton Spencer 4-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 30 September 2006
Spencer remain on Wellingborough's coat tails just a point off the pace after this comfortable win over the out of sorts Robins at Kingsthorpe Mill. Zac Nedimovic gave Spencer a third minute lead with a header but Buckingham equalised nine minutes later with Reuben Max-Grant's eighth goal of the season, a 20 yard strike into the top corner. Ben Foster restored Spencer's lead nine minutes before the break with a header back across the keeper and he doubled his tally after 56 minutes, snapping up the oose ball from close range after Reece Kirk had thwarted Nedimovic. Victory was sealed by Nedimovic's seventh of the season fourteen minutes from time, a six yard strike from a Matt Collins cross.


St Ives Town 5-1 Buckingham Town   Tuesday, 26 September 2006
St Ives bounced back from a series of cup defeats with this emphatic league victory over a Robins side struggling to keep out the goals at present. Anton D'Avilar opened the scoring after eleven minutes and Chris Ewles added a 20th minute second to put St Ives in interval control. A trademark Will Fordham free kick after 54 minutes extended the lead. D'Avilar scored his second of the night after 71 minutes with Dan Pilsworth completing the home nap hand three minutes later. Buckingham finally made a scorechart appearance three minutes from time, Richard Smith on target.  


Buckingham Town 1-7 Witney United   Saturday, 23 September 2006   F.A. Vase Second Round Qualifying
The Robins' defensive frailties were in evidence as unbeaten Hellenic visitors Witney ran riot at Ford Meadow. Rob Wyatt set the ball rolling for Witney ten minutes in with Danny Wise adding a 20th minute second. Buckingham player boss Tony Joyce replied from distance after 28 minutes but three minutes later Wise scored his second for the visitors. Three goals in five second half minutes ended the contest with Mark Odum's brace after 67 and 72 minutes sandwiching Wise's hat trick strike on 68 minutes. Tom Butler completed the scoring in the last minute.


Newport Pagnell Town 1-1 BTFC (0-3 Pens) Tuesday 19 September 2006

Buckingham moved into the last 16 of the Knockout Cup after winning on penalties after extra time.

The Robins took a 25th minute lead through Reuben Max-Grant but Pagnell equalised after 79 minutes with a Vinny Shrieves goal. No score in extra time, but  both Wayne Spencer and Chris Robson were sent off for Buckingham in the second period.

The Robins held on to a penalty shootout and progressed thanks to Marcus Sawyer, Richard Smith and Andy Prescott strikes, while Shrieves, Richard Armstrong and Tom Hill all missed for Pagnell.


Buckingham Town 1-4 Raunds Town   Saturday, 16 September 2006   F.A. Cup First Round Qualifying
The in form Shopmates ran out comfortable winners in this all Premier Division tie at Ford Meadow. Adam Taylor opened the scoring for Raunds on the half hour and they wrapped up the tie early in the second half with goals from Richard Tanner, a penalty following a foul on Taylor, after 47 minutes and Jamie Russell six minutes later. Bartek Moszynski replied for the Robins after 57 minutes but Raunds sealed their passage in the final minute through Callum Ridgway. 

Buckingham Town 1-4 Potton United   Wednesday, 13 September 2006
The Royals produced an impressive display at Ford Meadow to secure three points which lifted them into the top six. Buckingham were first on the scoresheet after 18 minutes with Reuben Max-Grant scoring his sixth goal of the campaign. Paul Garrett levelled for Potton after 26 minutes and in the last minute of the first half Gareth Cottenden gave the Royals the lead. Two goals in five second half minutes sealed the visitors' success, Cottenden netting his second goal after 70 minutes and Garrett doing likewise a quarter of an hour from time.  


Buckingham Town 0-2 Long Buckby   Saturday, 09 September 2006
Buckingham's unbeaten start to the season came to an end as fellow FA Cup heroes Buckby opened their domestic wins account after a hard working performance. Richard Wesley gave the Bucks the lead in the final minute of the first half with Andy Gordon's 64th minute second sealing the visitors' success.


Buckingham Town 3-2 Hanwell Town   Wednesday, 06 September 2006   F.A. Cup Preliminary Round - Replay
Buckingham produced a string finish to make FA Cup progress at Ford Meadow. Richard Smith gave the Robins a 12th minute lead but Dean Harper levelled for Hanwell nine minutes before the interval. When Keith Rowlands gave the visitors the lead ten minutes into the second half Buckingham had it all to do but with ten minutes to play Smith equalised with his second goal and Reuben Max-Grant netted the 85th minute winner which earned the Robins a clash with league rivals Raunds.


Hanwell Town 2-2 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 02 September 2006   F.A. Cup Preliminary Round
Buckingham twice battled back to level and will be looking for a replay success at Ford Meadow on Wednesday. A 15th minute Keith Rowlands solo effort had Hanwell in front at the interval, but Richard Smith levelled two minutes after the restart after a run and cross from Marcus Sawyer. Hanwell went back in front twelve minutes from time through Chris Mills after Robins keeper Reece Kirk saved well from Rowlands, but top scorer Reuben Max-Grant earned Buckingham a second chance with an 87th minute equaliser after Sawyer's break on the left flank.


Buckingham Town 2-1 Yaxley  Saturday, 26 August 2006
Yaxley's dismal start now shows one point on the board from 15 available after this defeat by a Robins side which is still unbeaten. Reuben Max-Grant gave Buckingham a 14th minute lead and strike partner Richard Smith doubled the home side's lead after 65 minutes. Ricky Hailstone scored for the Cuckoos from the penalty spot five minutes from time after Simon Acton, Mark Paul and Lee Blewett had missed some good chances to put the visitors back in the contest.


Wootton Blue Cross 2-2 Buckingham Town  Wednesday, 23 August 2006
Wootton's 100% record bit the dust as the Robins extended their unbeaten start to three matches. After a goalless first half which saw Buckingham's goalkeeping debutant Reece Kirk save a Darek Jozwiak penalty, Wootton took a 48th minute lead through Danny Wilkinson from a set piece. Richard Smith converted a Marcus Sawyer cross after 53 minutes and added a second after 65 minutes to put Buckingham in charge. With twelve minutes remaining the Robins were reduced to ten men by Wayne Spencer's dismissal and five minutes from time Dean Sturniolo struck from a speedy counter attack to keep Blue Cross unbeaten for the season.

Bourne Town 0-0 Buckingham Town  Saturday, 19 August 2006
After the excitement of their midweek win over Stotfold this was a case of 'after the Lord Mayor's show' for the Robins, but manager Tony Joyce will be pleased with a clean sheet and a rare Robins point in Lincolnshire. The Wakes are still searching for their first victory of the campaign after missing a series of good openings, most of which fell to Miles Mason. Both Mason and John Edwards were denied by the woodwork while home keeper Lee Flynn made a couple of good saves late on.


BTFC 5-4 Stotfold Wednesday 16 August 2006

An excellent game for the spectator with 9 goals and end to end football. Buckingham started well and on 24 mins Reuben Max Grant finished off a fine move after some good work from Marcus Sawyer. Against the run of play Stotfold equalised after a mix up in the Buckingham defence. Stotfold took the lead after a well taken free kick and just before half time Stotfold further their lead with a disputed goal when Buckingham Town defender Wayne Spencer looked to have been fouled, but the ref waved play on and Stotfold went into half time 3-1 up. The second half started well for Buckingham with Richard Smith going close. With Buckingham attacking Stotfold broke away and slotted in their 4th goal. 4-1 down. Buckingham now 4-1 down were playing well with lots of attacking play so it was inevitable that Reuben Max Grant went on for his hatrick with two well taken goals. With time running out Buckingham kept pushing forward and Rory Hunter finished a fine move with an excellent finish 4-4
In the 89th minute man of the moment Reuben Max Grant added his 4th goal and the winner on the night. It was a fantastic finale for the end of the game and no more that Buckingham Town deserved as the players showed real character and commitment to gain the three points.


Reports taken mostly from the football.mitoo website.