Match Reports 2005-06

Archive Index


St Neots Town 2-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 06 May 2006
St Neots rounded off the league campaign with a win over Buckingham whose long losing run continued. Saints player boss Steve Kuhne gave his side a 51st minute lead with a shot from outside the box. Assistant manager Steve Fox, deputising for Steve Young, who injured a shoulder in a clash with Andy Prescott, came to the Saints' rescue with fine saves from Paul Talbot and Reuben Max-Grant. Jason Darvall added a second for St Neots ten minutes from time after good work by Jon Hoggett and Kuhne. Max-Grant scored Buckingham's last minute consolation with a header from a corner.


Cogenhoe United 4-1 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 22 April 2006
Cogenhoe's year long reign as champions ended with a convincing win which sealed a top five finish, but Buckingham will be looking forward to the end of a season which has seen them lose nine in a row. The Cooks had the game sewn up at the break. Steve Diggin gave them a 20th minute lead and Neil Champlovier made it two six minutes later. Diggin's second eight minutes before half time had the home side home and dry and Buckingham caretaker boss Stuart Blaik's woes increased seven minutes into the second half when he scored an own goal. Paul Talbot netted a 74th minute Buckingham consolation.

Buckingham Town 0-5 Woodford United   Monday, 17 April 2006
Buckingham crashed to their eight successive defeat, their biggest of the season, as the rampant Reds outlined their championship credentials at Ford Meadow. A solitary first half strike from Russ Dunkley after two minutes split the sides at the break but once Dunkley scored a 57th minute second the contest was all but over. Tom Fountain added a third after 62 minutes and Dunkley completed his hat trick with his 32nd goal of the season a quarter of an hour from time. Nicky Gordon rounded off the scoring with his 24th of the campaign three minutes from the end. Reds keeper Matt Finlay kept his clean sheet intact by saving a Paul Stanley spot kick after Craig Caldwell-Smith was fouled.

Buckingham Town 1-4 St Ives Town  Saturday, 15 April 2006
An impressive display from St Ives brought them their first away win of 2006 at Ford Meadow. The visitors took a 20th minute lead when Liam Kennett scored from the spot following a foul on Jon Gull. Buckingham equalised after 32 minutes when Paul Talbot capitalised on defensive hesitancy. Graeme Thackray put St Ives back in front, converting a Will Fordham pass after 52 minutes. Buckingham's best efforts to level were thwarted by a Dan Newman clearance off the line and fine save by Aaron Bannie and two goals in three minutes sealed victory for the Saints. Thackray scored his second after 72 minutes with Kennett doing likewise a quarter of an hour from time.

Buckingham Town 1-4 Northampton Spencer  Saturday, 08 April 2006
Darren Frost took his season's goal tally to 27 with a first half hat trick which kept the Millers in title contention. The Spencer hot shot found the Buckingham net in the first minute and by the break he had virtually settled the outcome, scoring again after 21 and 25 minutes. Abdul Abdi reduced the arrears five minutes into the second half but Spencer had the last word with number 25 of the season for Scott Coleman in the final minute.

Buckingham Town 0-1 St Neots Town  Wednesday, 05 April 2006
New Buckingham caretaker boss Stuart Blaik was unable to halt the Robins' slide as his first match at the helm ended in defeat. The sides proved well match in an entertaining encounter and Saints keeper Steve Young made a good save from Andy Prescott before Reuben Max-Grant headed wide from a good position. Visiting defender Gary Watts had a header from a Matt Endersby corner cleared off the home goalline late in the first half. The Robins had a good spell early in the second half with Young saving superbly from Paul Talbot's close range volley. St Neots claimed their eleventh win in 13 games thanks to a Danny Griggs goal twenty minutes from time, Gary Walker's flick creating the opening.

Ford Sports Daventry 5-2 Buckingham Town   Tuesday, 28 March 2006
After a couple of heavy defeats Fords bounced back to claim a vital victory and put further distance between them and the relegation zone. Dave Bond gave Fords the lead after 17 minutes and Mark Hewitt added a second for the Motormen on the half hour. Reuben Max-Grant replied for Buckingham in the hour but with a quarter of an hour to play Ian Waldock scored a third for the home side. Again Buckingham fought back, Rory Hunter cutting the deficit after 80 minutes. Fords skipper Bond made the points safe, completing a hat trick with goals after 87 and 90 minutes.

Boston Town 1-0 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 25 March 2006
Boston avenged an October reverse at Ford Meadow with a narrow win in the Tattershall Road return, the Robins' third defeat in a row. Paul Goodhand was the Poachers matchwinner with his 22nd goal of the season, a 25 yard free kick after 63 minutes. A foul by Stuart Blaik on Gary Bull gave Goodhand the chance to display his dead ball expertise.

Buckingham Town 0-2 Holbeach United   Saturday, 18 March 2006
Buckingham's promotion push has faded as they are now without a win in six games since their victory at Carters Park at the end of January. The Tigers obtained revenge with this victory at Ford Meadow. Ian Dunn gave Holbeach the lead after 19 minutes from a Steve Barnes corner with Matt Warfield scoring a second in first half stoppage time. The defender pounced to score after home keeper Will Gourlay could only turn another inswinging Barnes corner against the crossbar.

Buckingham Town 0-3 Desborough Town   Saturday, 11 March 2006
It took Desborough seven months of the season to pick up a three point haul on the road, but after breaking their duck a second away success took just seven more days! This three point haul left Ar Tarn nine points clear of the relegation places. Brian Hardie opened the scoring after 25 minutes after good work by Jamie O'Neill and a second seven minutes later from O'Neill, Hardie the provider this time, gave Desborough a stranglehold on the contest. Eddie Mills completed the scoring in the final minute of the match.


Stewarts & Lloyds Corby 2-2 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 04 March 2006
A last minute equaliser denied Stewarts & Lloyds a double over Buckingham for the second season running. The Robins were first on the scoresheet through Craig Caldwell-Smith who headed in a Marcus Sawyer cross from close range after six minutes, but the Foundrymen equalised through Sean Brennan who rounded off a four man move a quarter of an hour later. Brennan had a goal ruled out for offside before Greig McIlwain marked his return from Desborough with S&L's second goal on the half hour, but Reuben Max-Grant's chest trap set up Sawyer who fired into the top corner in the final minute to give Buckingham a share of the spoils. There was still time for Richard Lavin in the home goal to save splendidly to deny Abdul Abdi a winner.

Potton United 4-2 Buckingham Town   Saturday, 25 February 2006
Potton made it 22 points out of the last 24 on offer as they strengthened their position in the championship race. A seventh minute Marcus Sawyer own goal gave the Royals a great start and they stamped their authority on proceedings with two more first half goals. Top scorer Wes Byrne doubled the lead after 26 minutes and three minutes before the break Paul Garrett added a third. When Byrne scored his 22nd goal of the season in the first minute of the second half the points were secure. Bilal Hassan scored a 53rd minute Robins reply against his old club and an 88th minute Reuben Max-Grant effort deflected off Glen Crook gave the visitors a second goal.

Bourne Town 0-0 BTFC   Saturday 11 February 2006

Due to a number of players not available for the trip to Bourne 3 changes were made to the starting 11 with all 3 players coming from Bedford Vellori and all were a credit.
The game got off to a good start with Buckingham applying most of the pressure but without really creating much. Once Bourne had settled down they were able to have the lions share of the possession for much of the half but all they were able to create was easily dealt with by Will Gourlay.
Even though Bourne had the majority of the play, Buckingham were very disappointed not to go in at half time with a 2 goal lead. Both chances fell to Ruben Max Grant, the first of which was created by good play around the box and Ruben turning his man 6 yards out only to miss hit his shot which was easily saved by the goalkeeper. The second chance was good play by Bilal Hassan who played Ruben in down the right side but with a lot to do he went passed two defenders and hit a powerful shot which the keeper did well to save.
The second half continued in the same manner as the first with Bourne having a lot of the play but Buckingham had the best chances. A long kick by Will Gourlay went sailing over the Bourneís defence with Bilal and Ruben on the the long ball. It seemed that they both got in each others way and in the end the ball carried through to the keeper without both forwards touching the ball. But with only one minute remaining Darrell Elliott won a free kick just outside the box central of goal. Ruben took the kick which looked destined for the top corner only for the keeper to produce a fine save. From the restart Bourne went down the other end and won a corner. This was headed on at the near post and Paul Stanley was able to clear from under the bar.

Message Board report posted by MissQ


BTFC 1-1 Blackstones   Saturday 4 February 2005

The news of the departure of Morrell Maison to Kettering Town was received with mixed feeling before the game. The departure was obviously a big loss to Buckingham Town as Morrell has done so much with the team and also an incredible amount of behind the scenes.
The match against Blackstones got off to a very even start with both teams trying to get the upper hand. Buckingham were playing the better football with Blackstone only looking for the one ball over the top as their only attacking option.
As the first half progressed Buckingham continued to be the better team and were able to attack down the left flank but all the opportunities were wasted by Marcus Sawyer who kept putting the ball behind the goal. Marcus he will need to improve this side of his game as this is the most important part of a wingers game.
The half ended 0 0 with the only opportunity falling to Ruben Max Grant who headed just wide. A cross from Ian Trott from a deep position on the right came into the box which looked as though it would go through to the goalkeeper but Ruben made a brave challenge only to see his header drift wide.
The second started more brightly and for a period of 20 minutes Buckingham took control of the game. Against the run of play Blackstones broke after Max Grant gave the ball away on the halfway line and they hit the underside of the crossbar . The pressure from Buckingham soon continued and resulted in a foul on Moses and with the resulting free kick from Marcus Sawyer Ruben rose highest to head the ball in. Within 5 minutes a long ball out of defence by Stuart Blaik was controlled excellently by Ruben to take him past the defence and with only the keeper to beat. The keeper pulled off a good save.
This miss in the end proved costly as with only 15 minutes left a cross from the Blackstones left seemed to be misjudged by James Lansdown and in the scramble that occurred Abdul Abdi made a rash challenge from behind with the Blackstones player actually going away from the goal. Blackstones were awarded a penalty resulting in Lansdown going the wrong way and the ball was in the goal. 1 1
The last 15 minutes were played out with no real chances for both teams with Blackstones more than happy with a point and Buckingham despite the late pressure to go for the win could not come up with the killer blow.

Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Holbeach United 1-3 Buckingham Town   Saturday 28 January 2006
The Tigers slumped to a fourth successive league defeat as Buckingham maintained their pursuit of honours with another win on the road. Darrell Elliott opened the scoring for the Robins after 28 minutes, collecting an Ian Trott pass and cutting in from the right to score with a blistering long range drive. Danny Cairns was denied a Holbeach equaliser by the post before the interval. Top scorer Reuben Max-Grant came off the bench to add a second for the visitors in the first minute of the second half at the end of a move involving Bilal Hassan and Christopher Wreh. A third goal from Marcus Sawyer, a far post header from a Hassan cross a minute before the hour wrapped up the Robins' success with Steve Barnes scoring an 86th minute Holbeach consolation direct from a free kick.

Buckingham Town 1-1 Potton United Saturday 21 January 2006
Potton picked up a valuable point at Ford Meadow as title outsiders Buckingham failed to make up any ground on the leaders. Reuben Max-Grant gave Buckingham the lead from a Junior George through ball with his 16th goal of the season four minutes before the break, but missed another gilt edged opportunity to double the lead. The Royals replied after the interval, Ben L'Honore equalising after 62 minutes, latching onto a clearance and firing a 30 yard screamer through a crowded penalty area with the keeper unsighted.


Buckingham Town 8-1 Harrowby United  Saturday 07 January 2006
Buckingham blitzed bottom markers Harrowby for the second time this season, climbing to third place in the Premier Division as a result. Reuben Max-Grant's sixth minute opener from a Junior George pass was quickly followed by a second goal from Stuart Blaik following a corner five minutes later. Max-Grant netted his second on the quarter hour before the Arrows replied through Leon Kita's well executed chip from outside the box after 27 minutes. Two goals late in the half ended the match as a contest as Junior George found the visiting net after 39 minutes with Lance Gentle-King following suit with a cracking strike from the edge of the box four minutes later. The outstanding Marcus Sawyer starred after the break scoring three times, after left wing breaks on 50, 62 and 79 minutes.

Newport Pagnell Town 0-0 Buckingham Town   Saturday 31 December 2005
Inconsistency remains the order of the day for promotion chasing Buckingham who have picked up just four holiday points from nine on offer. Since returning to the top flight four years ago Newport are unbeaten in eight league clashes with the Robins and this will be a valuable point for the Swans as they bid to stay clear of the relegation battle. Bilal Hassan missed chances to win it for Buckingham in each half.

Woodford Utd 5-2 BTFC   Monday 26 December 2005

The free scoring Reds overwhelmed one of their promotion rivals to signal a warning to the rest of the Premier Division title chasers. Neil King opened the scoring for Woodford on the half hour, and four minutes later Arron Parkinson added a second. Craig Pearman made it three after 48 minutes before the Robins replied on the hour through Bilal Hassan. Buckingham comeback hopes were quickly quashed by goals from top scorer Nicky Gordon on 70 minutes and Lewis Travers three minutes later. Reuben Max-Grant scored a Buckingham consolation two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the game.


BTFC 3-2 Stotfold   Saturday 24 December 2005

Buckingham moved into the top four after snatching a late victory in this pulsating contest with in form Stotfold at Ford Meadow.
From the first whistle attempts on goal came thick and fast. Robins defender Ian Trott headed wide from a corner while Stotfold replied with Richard Pringle heading over a Darren Dykes cross and then creating an opening for Liam George which saw the ex-Luton Town man fire narrowly too high.
The goalkeepers were earning their corn too with James Lansdown saving in fine style from Stotfold's Paul Harrington and Nigel Blower in the visiting goal doing likewise to deny Andy Prescott the opening goal. Moses Olaleye was unable to keep his header down after a well timed run into the box, while Trott recovered well to make a saving tackle after his headed back pass was latched on to by Pringle.
Stotfold were looking the more likely scorers and they went in front after 24 minutes, Pringle rising at the far post to head home from a deep cross from Harrington.
Buckingham had to replace goalkeeper Lansdown through injury at half time but teenage replacement Tom Willshere was rarely tested until he was well placed to field a Dykes free kick. Buckingham's second change proved more influential with Bilal Hassan levelling the scores from close range after 67 minutes after Lewis Reid's fierce effort was parried by Blower. Sixty seconds later Hassan was brought down by the Stotfold custodian, and in the protests which followed Eagles speedster Ady Bascombe received his marching orders. Reuben Max-Grant slotted home from the spot.
Stotfold threw caution to the wind and with seven minutes left they were on terms, Pringle converting a penalty after being fouled himself. There was still time for a home winner, Trott powering in an unstoppable header from a corner to give the Robins all three points and leave Stotfold feeling hard done by.

BTFC 1-0 Deeping Rangers   Saturday 17 December 2005

This match nearly didn't happen after the appointed referee went to the wrong ground, but when play eventually got underway the Robins came out on top, a 75th minute header by Ruben Max-Grant from a Marcus Sawyer cross giving Buckingham a double over their struggling visitors. Both sides had struggled to create openings in a low key encounter with Jamie Smith closest to a Rangers goal and Max-Grant thwarted by a fine Danny Bircham save late in the first half.

Buckingham Town 0-2 Wootton Blue Cross   Wednesday 14 December 2005
Buckingham's promotion hopes suffered a setback as two first half goals gave Blue Cross a double over their hosts. Skipper Darek Jozwiak gave Wootton the lead on the hour with a well taken fourteenth goal of the campaign, and eight minutes later Craig Daniel added a second for the visitors as they ran the first half. Buckingham enjoyed a lot od second half possession without looking dangerous

in front of goal.


St Ives Town 2-4 BTFC   Saturday 10 December 2005

It has been well documented that St Ives had a few problems with their pitch earlier in the year with the oil spillage. However, having cleared that up they have an additional drainage problem with the local schools drain spilling onto the pitch and some under surface water. All this has turned the pitch into somewhat of a mud bath. Ask any of the players who stayed on for the full 90 minutes and they will assure you that their legs were very heavy by the end of the game.
Ruben was the first to score with a well taken goal, however St Ives came back within 5 minutes to level the score. The Robins then proceeded to batter the opposition with chance after chance going begging. Andy proved to be the hero of the day by scoring making it 2 - 1. Moses took the ball up the wing and into the box, passed to Ruben who scores 3-1? no the goal was disallowed for offside (everyone including the opposition supporters will confirm that the goal was on side). The saints rallied and they battled til the end of the first half to get the equaliser back but to no avail (although they came close on a couple of occasions). Ian trott at the back was superb, new signing Tony Joyce solid in defence, and Lance doing well to clear the ball from dangerous looking attacking play. Blaiky man mountain did a spectacular job for us. The first half was exciting to watch.
The 2nd half started and The Robins threw everything they had as they were not satisfied with a 2-1 advantage. Both Marcus and Moses made some fabulous runs down the wing, passing to Ruben (who was on fire, the ball was sticking to his feet and at one stage 5 St Ives players tried to wrestle the ball from him, all to no avail) and to Andy Prescot. Andy (man of the match for me) scored two superb goals giving him his hat trick 4-1. Ruben gets chopped down and stays down, on comes the physio, still Ruben stays down, calls for the stretcher are put out. Eventually Rubens walks unaided off the pitch, the magic hands of Andy right the neck/shoulder that went into spasm after Ruben lands on his head. You can never keep a good man down, Ruben puts a chip in over the goalies head, on target? almost hits the post. Andy and Ruben are substituted, St Ives get a free kick, a penalty is awarded! for what no one knows. 4-2 with 2 mins. of the game remaining. I looked around and all the St Ives supporters had either left or were inside getting a drink. St Ives continued to battle, the ball goes into the area, Will catches the ball, a St Ives player catches the goalie, down goes Will and stays down. The ref blows for full time, Andy comes on the pitch, the keeper is still on the floor, the ref and lino's leave the pitch, Will is still on the floor. Eventually Will is helped off the pitch and sent to hospital. An update will be given as soon as I know what damage he has done to his leg.
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton

Buckingham Town 2-0 Long Buckby   Wednesday 07 December 2005
The Robins completed a double over struggling Buckby, who escaped lightly as Buckingham only took two of numerous chances created. Andy Prescott fired the home side into a tenth minute lead and they went further ahead five minutes later, Reuben Max-Grant the marksman.

Yaxley 1-0 Buckingham Town   Saturday 03 December 2005
Yaxley are now unbeaten in ten league outings after pipping the Robins at Leading Drove. Buckingham are now without a win in their last eight visits, but ran the Cuckoos close this time. Ricky Hailstone's pass set up Mark Paul to round the keeper and score his 22nd domestic goal of the campaign after 65 minutes to give Yaxley three important points to keep them well placed in the title race, seven points off the pace with four matches in hand of leaders Potton. The Robins were denied a leveller by the woodwork late on, Reuben Max-Grant the man out of luck.

Stotfold 1-2 BTFC    Tuesday 29 November 2005

Stotfold's three match winning run was halted by a Robins side which shrugged off a run of poor form to claim a first win in five outings. Dean Chapman gave the Eagles a 25th minute lead from the penalty spot after Jason Blackett was sent tumbling by Buckingham debutant Matt Corbould, but they were pegged back five minutes before the interval, Lewis Reid equalising for Buckingham from 25 yards. Lance Gentle-King had a goal disallowed for the visitors but five minutes into the second half Reuben Max-Grant scored the Robins' winner, volleying in a Marcus Sawyer cross.

Buckingham Town 1-3 Cogenhoe United   Saturday 26 November 2005
Buckingham's hopes of getting back in the title race suffered a setback as they suffered a third successive defeat, champions Cogenhoe rekindling their own hopes of honours with this success. Simon Underwood opened the scoring for the Cooks after 17 minutes and with two minutes of the first half remaining he doubled the lead from the penalty spot. Neil Champelovier made the points safe for the champions after 62 minutes before an 80th minute own goal by James Thatcher gave the Robins their consolation.

Wootton Blue Cross 3-0 Buckingham Town  Tuesday 22 November 2005
Buckingham's impressive away record took a dent as Blue Cross notched up an impressive home success. Craig Daniel's 25th minute effort split the sides at the interval, and Ismail George added a second two minutes before the hour mark. Seven minutes later Chris Johnson added a third to seal Wootton's victory.

Buckingham Town 2-2 Bourne Town   Saturday 12 November 2005
A second half fight back by the Robins denied Bourne a rare win on one of their bogey grounds. The Wakes stunned their hosts by taking a two goal first half lead. James Baxter gave the visitors the advantage after 13 minutes, chipping home after Richard Hutchinson flicked on Michael Stevenson's ball forward. Miles Mason scored a penalty after being fouled by Paul Stanley ten minutes before the interval to leave Buckingham with it all to do. Michael McKenzie reduced the arrears on the hour with a diving header from a Reuben Max-Grant cross but Buckingham had to wait until a minute from time for Junior George's well struck equaliser from 25 yards. There was still time for Bourne substitute Addie Staffieri to miss a chance to win it for the Wakes and McKenzie to do likewise for the home side.

Milton United 1-0 Buckingham Town   Wednesday 09 November 2005   Berks & Bucks FA Senior Trophy Round 2
The Robins' poor run of cup results continued with this Berks & Bucks Trophy exit. Buckingham bowed out to a lone strike from Adam Beckett five minutes into extra time.


Raunds T 3-1 BTFC   Saturday 5 November 2005

The Robins six game winning run away from home came to an end at Raunds this afternoon, on a cold windswept day. The Robins looking to consolidate 3rd place were still in the dressing room as they went 3-0 down in the opening 15 min spell.
Manager Morell Maison was at a loss to explain exactly what went wrong in the opening spell, he commented, 4 of my 5 defenders are over 6ft and they couldn't jump a queue in a supermarket, let alone jump to win a header. The opening 15 mins was the most inept display of defending I think I have seen for a long time, Harrowby defended better a couple of weeks ago in the opening 15 mins than we did from the keeper through the team, it is totally unacceptable.

I have set my team targets and they are marginally behind which I can accept, but for what we are hoping to achieve this was awful, three set plays, three goals. I am not happy, but as I have said before we will suffer setbacks in our quest for the title, we have no divine right to win every game, but the standard of play in that 15 min spell was not good enough. More of a worry was the fact we went on to dominate the game, other than a well taken penalty by Michael we threatened very little from open play, good approach play, great width, lots of crosses of little quality and my top two looked very ineffectual, we made their keeper look great today.

The league is very even this year and nobody has got away from us, we have dropped a place but its my job to drive us on and get us in the right frame of mind for the game against Milton away on Wednesday in the County Cup, before we meet Bourne on Saturday.

I know what is wrong and am working hard to fix it and if required. I will bring in the personnel to do just that. In the stand today I had Lewis Reid (inj) and Abdul Abdi (sus), both central midfielders that can unlock a tight midfield, unhappy to lose but all things considered we are 4th and challenging, with a winning habit, with players to come in, one being Phil Turner.

I am confident we will be pressing hard to open a gap between us and the teams below us, its tight but my squad is more than capable.


BTFC 3-2 Boston Town    Saturday 29 October 2005

Same scoreline as Wednesday night but a much improved performance. The defence was excellent today - I reckon Trotty was man of the match. We seemed a lot more decisive clearing our lines today, mixing passing it out of defence with knocking it long for Ruben and Macca.
We bossed the first half, and Ruben put us 1-0 up. He swept a great cross field pass out to Marcus Sawyer who's returned the ball back to Ruben who fired home from 8 yards. Ian Trott added a deserved second heading home a Sawyer corner at the far post (Marcus takes a really decent in swinging corner from the right, the out swingers from the left need a spot of work!)
The ref (more on him later) got Boston back in the game with a penalty for handball. 2-1 at half-time.
Boston came into the game in the second-half, but the ref returned the favour giving us a penalty for a foul on Macca - again not clear cut. Macca slotted the penalty home 3-1.
Boston continued to press and added a second with from a close range header. The ref, who'd taken stick from both sides during the course of the game, then had a bit of a funny turn, booking Stan for time wasting at a free kick, when no one had heard him blow the whistle for play to restart. Then he gave Boston a throw, after judging that Trotty had taken too long with the throw in - he had literally just picked the ball up!!! These sort of decisions can sometimes turn games, but fortunately not this time.
Blaikey came on for the last ten minutes and was superb - as the Robins reverted to four at the back. He won everything in the air and settled the nerves of those watching on the touchline.
A great team performance. I thought Andy Prescott did well out on the right in the first half, and John Da Souza, Lance & Junior worked hard in midfield. But Ian Trott with a goal and a powerful performance in defence got my vote for man of the match. Leaves us nicely poised in the table.

Message Board report posted by Nico

BTFC 3-2 Ford Sports Daventry    Wednesday 26 October 2005

No losses in the last 11 games against Ford Sports may have suggested an easy night for the Robins, missing Moses Olaleye (hols) Ian Trott (work Commitments) and Michael McKenzie (Inj} Boss Morell Maison was a little apprehensive, he said these runs always come to an end when you least expect it or need it, with players missing and a couple carrying knocks I was concerned and rightly so, many off the games between the two sides have been very tight affairs with us just doing enough, equally a few we have totally dominated but tonight was tough, we took the opening 25 mins off the first half, but were then pushed back as Ford played some very good football, forcing us into errors and denying us time but after Ruben, Andy P and George O had opportunities to open the scoring the half time score of 0 Ė 0 was surprising, second half saw Fords grab the initiative and press us back I was into my third shuffling of the pack when George gave away a loose ball and Fords counter saw them sweep up field to score the opener, having created very little we would have to work very hard to get something, the break came when George raced away down the left and fired in a wicked looking cross as a defender went to clear the ball shot off his foot and past the keeper 1-1, 10 mins later George again down the left plays a little ball into Andy Prescott his turn and shot too hot for the keeper to hold and Ruben fires in the loose ball, with only 12 mins remaining you would have thought game over no way Junior gives away a ball in defence Lance misses the tackle 2-2, 5 mins left a draw, that man George again down the left cross beats everybody and Andy P tucks home the winner, 3 points a stirling effort from Fords who deserved something from the game, but thatís footie happened to me plenty, the race is now on to get players fit for Saturdays visit of second place Boston 4th vs 2nd should be a good one, I am happy we have now opened our home account and moved up the table.

Message Board report posted by Sue Horton

Harrowby United 0-8 Buckingham Town   Saturday 22 October 2005
Buckingham made it six wins on the road in six attempts with this demolition of the outclassed Arrows. In recent games Harrowby have competed well in the first half before collapsing after the interval, but the Robins took an early stranglehold with three goals in the opening twelve minutes. Andy Prescott had a penalty saved by Arrows keeper Matt Whittle with the game goalless. Junior George was first on the score sheet with a header after five minutes, Reuben Max-Grant following up with further goals after six minutes from a Marcus Sawyer centre and twelve minutes, punishing a handling error by the Harrowby keeper. Andy Prescott added a fourth four minutes before the interval. There was more suffering for Harrowby after the break. Max-Grant completed his hat trick a minute past the hour with a powerful header from Paul Stanley's cross and George scored the visitors' sixth sixty seconds later. Max-Grant took his personal tally for the day to four after 73 minutes with Lee Grant completing the rout a quarter of an hour from time.

Bicester 2-0 BTFC   Tuesday 18 October 2005  Buckingham Charity Cup

A far from satisfactory result 2-0 and a tough one to take for my players, who for the second time in a couple of wks lost to Bicester in a cup competition. As Manager I am very happy with the performance of my side and if the term: the best side did not go through was to be applied to a game, then this was it, my boys carried the game for the second time. Quick inventive play was met by what I can only describe as desperate defending, it can be very difficult to play against poorer opposition when they play, when they donít it falls on you to break them down, this we did not do in and around the box. We are playing good football starting at the back from Paul Stanley who is in excellent form and driving us on, his contribution is very important to the way we play and again he was able to provide a performance of high quality, the goals did not come and I may have to tinker to get exactly what I want. But my coaching staff Pete Riches, Lee Howey, Geoff Sharp and physio Andy Waight know exactly what I want and work hard to ensure I get it, other than the result I will be telling them more of the same as we are in great form and will continue to play our way out of the division we are in. Great to see Phil Turner, he is working hard to get back but is still two months away from a return that will see competition increase still further, some good players are on the bench right now giving me the problem I like, selection. Sat sees us make the long trip to Harrowby looking for three points in good form before we take on Ford Sports on Weds at home, a win at home is a must as we have not given our home supporters three points to cheer.
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Buckingham Town 1-3 Yaxley   Saturday 15 October 2005
After moving into the top six of the Premier Division on the back of four successive away victories, Buckingham lost ground after suffering their third defeat on home soil. Mark Kingston gave Yaxley the lead after 26 minutes following good work by Ricky Hailstone and Mark Paul and the Cuckoos went further ahead seven minutes later with a penalty from Hailstone after Kingston was brought down. Paul turned two defenders before slotting home to wrap up Yaxley's win with a third goal, his tenth of the season, after 65 minutes. Michael McKenzie scored a 78th minute consolation for the Robins.

Buckingham Town 1-0 Ford Sports Daventry  Wednesday 12 October 2005  League Cup Round 1
Buckingham continued to be bogey opponents for the Motormen as they made Knockout Cup progress with this narrow Ford Meadow success. Defender Lance Gentle-King scored the vital goal after 65 minutes, joining the attack to curl a 20 yard shot into the net from a Reuben Max-Grant pass. Ben Foster was closest to a goal for Fords with a shot into the side netting.


Blackstones 1-2 BTFC   Saturday 8 October 2005

Saturday saw the Robins travel back up to Lincolnshire to meet Blackstones. Their 5th League away game, the previous 4 all being wins, with Junior George (tonsillitis) Ray Wilson (work ) Andy Prescott (wedding) all missing, the full squad was needed. In came Ian Trott and a debut by new signing
Marcus Sawyer proved to be the talking point. Has the Boss finally found a replacement for Marcus McGillycuddy. A tight encounter was expected as Blackstones always prove a tough nut to crack but in Marcus the Robins had the width and wing play that has been missing from the team since his namesake departed. With Moses on the right Blackstones were stretched, the 18th min saw Moses jink into the box, when brought down the result a penalty.
The prolific Macca stepped up no mistake 1-0, Blackstone upped the pace but never wrestled control from the Robins who were now pulling all the strings, a few moments gave cause for concern but keeper Will Gourlay was equal to everything. Half time came and went, within two minutes of the restart a short pass into Macca saw him roll the defender and blast a right foot shot wide of the keeper into the bottom corner, game over no!!! way, back came Blackstones looking for the goal to get them back into the match, off came Marcus on went George and The Stones sent 4 up. The back line held firm until a poor Buckingham corner cleared up field ended in the net after neat quick counter attack from the Stones. Game done, a good win the 5th away and up to 6th with games in hand, and what about that debut from Marcus Sawyer.
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Bicester Town 2-0 BTFC   Saturday 1 October 2005

An eagerly awaited match ended in frustration and disappointment for the Robins as Bicester turned in an unexpected win.
The Robins went out at this stage for the first time under Manager Morell Maison's time at the club. An unhappy Maison commented;
"We lost, am I unhappy about that? Yes, I donít like losing at anything let alone a local derby, but thatís what happened. We are in good form, I have one of the best young squads that I have had at the club, full of young talent and I expected to go through. A common theme in the play of teams we play against is the way they play deep and get bodies behind the ball killing the game, its something we have to work on. I encourage my teams to pass and the long ball game is not for us, few teams at our own level are willing to play us in an open game. Saying that if you then give the team something to defend with sloppy play it makes the game harder. I have a way of playing that suits me, the players I coach and my supporters. I won't change that and will work to improve the play and players.

Two players should make debuts this week end as I strengthen my team and look to get out of the league we are in. Tim Fowler set his team up to go through and they did so, credit to him. I could not play like that and maybe thatís a failing in me, but the play showed me we are on the right lines. Our U18s drew 1-1 at Bicester on the Monday their first point this season which is very pleasing there second half showing was credit to them, and I am sure we will see Khalid Odurro in the first team squad before long. All the best to Bicester we are back there again in the Charity Cup in two weeks looking for a result to take us through".
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Northampton Spencer 0-2 Buckingham Town    Tuesday 27 September 2005
Spencer clung on to the league leadership on goal difference after suffering their second defeat of the campaign against a Robins side which is climbing the chart rapidly. Robins keeper Willie Gourlay saved a Scott Coleman penalty after ten minutes and eight minutes later Abdul Abdi set up Michael McKenzie who gave Buckingham the lead with a well struck effort. The visitors' win was sealed fifteen minutes from time by Moses Olaleye, who cut in from the right flank before firing home a left footed shot.


Deeping Rangers 0-2 Buckingham Town   Saturday 24 September 2005
A goal in each half gave Buckingham their third successive victory at Outgang Road. Deeping captain Tuncay Korkmaz had a header cleared off the line early on but Reuben Max-Grant put the Robins in front after 35 minutes after latching on to Dan Ruscillo's misplaced clearance from a Moses Olaleye cross. Buckingham were the better side after the break and sealed victory with a 63rd minute second from Olaleye, a cross shot which sailed over home keeper John Feetham after a good run by the winger. Deeping created plenty of good openings but found Robins keeper Will Gourlay in fine form, while Carl Griffiths had a goal disallowed for offside with twenty minutes remaining.


BTFC 3-1 Barkingside   Saturday 17 September 2005  FA Vase

Today saw the Robins book a trip to Bicester in the next round of the FA Vase with a comfortable win at home to Barkingside.
The first half was patchy with Barkingside content to play on the counter attack, the Robins without Keeper Will Gourlay (family commitments) Ian Trott (abroad) and Paul Stanley (suspension completes on Sunday).
Gary Cook and John DaSouza, looked very strong and how the first half remained goalless is a mystery. Not the second half though, the Robins upped their game in the second half with strong performances from, Moses, Lewis Reid and Jonathan Barnett. Michael McKenzie can't stop scoring and boss Morell Maison seems to have finally found a replacement for the free scoring Meshach Cole.

Maison commented after the game. "That was a solid performance and again the young guns did well. Lance, Lee and Ben did well and have given me a real headache in terms of selection. I have skipper Stuart Blaik, Paul Stanley, Ray Wilson and Ian Trott not to mention James Patterson all available for our trip to
Deeping, add to that Lee Orcheston, Ryan Wiffin and Andy Prescott, places are at a premium.

The balance of the squad is coming along well and a run in this competition along with that 3rd place finish are two of our aims this season. Michael works tirelessly for the team and deserved his two goals, thatís 6 in 4 games. Ruben opened his account and I am pleased overall with what we are doing.
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Desborough Town 3-5 BTFC   Saturday 10 September 2005

A continuation of the attacking play that is a main feature of their game saw the Robins race into a 3-0 lead away to Desborough. Debutant Gary Cook opened the scoring in the 8th min after taking a sharp pass from fellow debutant John DaSouza. Five minutes later Michael McKenzie Leapt above all to put the finishing touch to a deep cross from Moses Olaleye, Michael is proving to be a more than adequate replacement for the prolific Meshach Cole scoring his 4th goal in three games, impressing with his work rate and tireless running.
He was again involved with Lewis Reid and Abdul Abdi in setting up the third, a fine one touch passing move which was finished with precision by Moses Olaleye.

Desborough struck with a good free kick from just outside the box to bring it back to 1-3.

Half time saw some respite, but as soon as play resumed Cook forced a save from the keeper, the resulting corner saw Ian Trott open his account.

Back came Desborough throwing caution to the wind and an excellent goal saw them pull back another when Lee Orcheston went on as a sub, dwelled on the ball, the returning Junior George failed to clear, Desborough made the Robins pay.
Ruben on for Abdul broke free on the right and put in the cross that saw Cook head home for his second and the Robins 5th, a welcome 3 points after the Robins stuttering start.

Manager Morell Maison said; "A good 3 points, I have laid a ghost here today as I have never won at this ground in 5yrs, with no Stuart Blaik {stomach Bug} (Jonathan Barnett) stomach bug, Paul Stanley suspended, Phil Turner (yet to feature), and (Andy Prescott) injured, the new guys did very well indeed, the fight for places is intensifying and the return of both Junior George and Lance Gentle King along with debutants Lee Grant, John DeSouza and Gary Cook added strength and purpose to our play, now I have the problems I like, selection ones. I am looking forward to Barkingside in the Vase and climbing the table with some positive displays.
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


BTFC 3-4 Newport Pagnell Town   Wednesday 7 September 2005

Weds saw the Robins drop another 3 points to a determined Newport Pagnell Town, but the blame can be put squarely at their own doorstep.
As unforced errors saw them again chasing a game they should have won or at least shared the points. Ben Reid, Stuart Blaik and a mix up between keeper Will Gourlay and Ian Trott gifted Vinny Shrieves four goals and despite three good goals of their own two from Michael McKenzie, his third in two games and one from Johnny Barnett the Robins just could not pull it back.

Two home defeats on the spin leaves Town down at the bottom. Manager Morell Maison remains very upbeat.

"The team play the way I want them too; we have issues defensively but at the moment all the players I have missing are defenders. Paul Stanley, Phil Turner, Lance Gentle King and James Patterson all give me the diversity to play the way I want too. Paul is back in two wks, Phil at the end of the Month and James is training very hard to get to the required fitness. I need to sort the balance of the team out defensively to move forward, but our overall play I am happy with and will not be pushing any panic buttons. Offensively we are the best in the league, I have not seen any better, but I have to sort out other areas of our game to climb the table. The squad is strong and will cope with the disappointment it is feeling right now, but we are confident that despite an indifferent start we will be in the shake up at the end".
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


BTFC 2-3 S&L Corby   Saturday 3 September 2005

A day of mixed fortunes at Ford Meadow. Saturday saw several young Debutants take to the field.

19yr old Paul Danaher, 20yr old Michael McKenzie, left back Ray Wilson and 21yr old Ahmed Olackachia. Missing Junior George, and Jonathan Barnett through injury, Paul Stanley suspended and both Lance Gentle King and Lee Orcheston left out of the squad.

The young guns had an opportunity to stake a claim, tougher tasks lie ahead and after dominating the game for long periods, Town conceded three goals on the counter attack with some inept defending.

With both Paul Stanley and Lance missing the Robins defence looked not only slow but undecided on patrol, and with the rest of the team being rebuilt at a rate of knots Manager Morell Maison was very upbeat. "3 pts slipped away from us today but I have Junior and Jonathan back for the Wednesday visit of Newport Pagnell. Lance should also be available for selection and in Paul, George , Michael and Moses we have players with genuine pace. I have added Khalid Odurro to the squad from the U18s as he has impressed in training, but at 17 this will be a real development season for him. I have targeted two more players which I will have in before the Barkingside Vase game, which will give me what I want. A top three finish is my aim and a little tweaking is needed, I have to look at my defence which is not as it should be but the chances we created should have seen us comfortably through, their keeper was without doubt the man of the match."
"Whilst Will touched the ball on maybe a dozen occasions picking it out of the net three times, the problems have been identified and will be sorted, congrats to both debutants who scored, Michael and Ahmed and Paul who hit the post with a good effort, as we settle with so many new players performances will improve."

Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Chalfont St Peter 1-0 BTFC   Saturday 20 August 2005  FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

The Robins travelled to Chalfont St Peter on Saturday on the back of a great performance against Long Buckby so spirits were high for this FA Cup extra prelim game.
The Robins went into the game missing Junior George & Ruben Max Grant through injury and Lewis Reid and Lance Gentle -King through an administration error.
The first half was a poor affair with neither side showing any quality on a very poor and bumpy pitch. Chalfont took the lead midway through the first half after Ian Trott was adjudged to have fouled the lone Chalfont centre forward on the edge of the penalty area. The resultant free kick was deflected past the stranded Will Gourlay. Buckingham had far more possession during the first half but were missing any cutting edge in front of goal.
During half time Morell Maison was forced to re shuffle the side, Skipper Stuart Blaik and Jonathon Barnett both suffered twisted ankle's on the poor surface, they were replaced by Lee Howey and Ben Reid.

The second half was as poor as the first. Andy Prescott was replaced by Lee Orcheston midway through the second half with a stomach strain Buckingham pushed for the equaliser but Chalfont held firm.
"This was one of the poorest team performances during my time at Buckingham Town, I am embarrassed as are the rest of the players we have let everyone down involved with the club. This was a game we should have won, that's not being disrespectful to Chalfont but with the squad of players we have Chalfont shouldn't have lived with us. That said it doesn't matter how good the players are if you don't apply yourself then this can happen as it did on Saturday, you have to earn the right to play and we didn't. We have to learn from this now and get ready for the next game; S&L Corby at home next Saturday". ( Stuart Blaik - Captain )
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Long Buckby 1-5 BTFC   Wednesday 17 August 2005

Saturday sees the Robins travel to Chalfont St Peter in fine form and if Wednesay is anything to go by, they will fancy their chances.

Missing Lance, Lewis, Ruben, Will And Junior George, the Towns second half performance was excellent. After going down to a disputed 5th min penalty the Robins began to take hold of a game that had threatened to get away from them as Darren Harmon pushed and cajoled Long Buckby.
It did not last, an opportunity to level from the spot the match was spurned by the usually reliable Paul Stanley and it was not until the 25th min that skipper Stuart Blaik headed in the equalizer, quickly followed by the goal of the game. Andy Prescott showed great determination in getting down the line and his cross was met on the volley by George 2-1. No looking back, as the Robins began to look ominous in the way they passed and moved. Buckby waited for half time so they could regroup. As this came and went, it was
the Robins who returned the stronger. Off came Dean Powell, in came Ryan Wiffin and how Buckby wished it could have remained the same, with Wiffin working an already stretched defence Moses, Jonathan, George and Abdul started to play the game we have come to expect.
Whilst this was a team effort both George and Ryan worked tirelessly to produce moments of magic.
Morell said "We are still a month away from what I would consider would be our strongest team. The squad has depth and I was very happy with the second half performance. That said, a couple of things in the first half need addressing and had Buckby taken a couple of opportunities, we could have been left with a bit of a hill to climb. Young players like Craig Caldwell Smith, Ben Reid, Andy Prescott and Ryan Wiffin are only going to get better. Last season served Craig and Ben well as they are coping comfortably with this level.

I am looking forward to Saturday.

Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


BTFC 0-0 Raunds Town  Saturday 13 August 2005

A display of quick attacking football that did not bring the three points the Robins richly deserved, with Moses Olaleye in sizzling form aided and abetted by debutant George Ossubonno, Abdul and Paul Stanley pulled the strings in Midfield that created chance after chance for a wasteful forward line and Andy Prescott should have opened his account on his debut as should Ryan Wiffin, they followed the same path as Craig Caldwell Smith and Ruben Max Grant.

The Robins defended well and another debutant Lee Howey marshalled the line well, Morell commented "We played they hustled I felt one goal would lead to several but we are not firing on all cylinders yet and after the first game I am happy that we are creating as many chances as we do with 5 players making their debuts and missing Junior George (inj) and Lewis Reid delayed in Tunisia there will be a little settling down period. The style remains the same and at last we have started, the only downside was the sending off of Abdul Abdi but I wont go into that now.

Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


Pre-Season Friendlies

Arlesey 1-3 BTFC

Arlesey must have expected an easy night at the office as they prepare for another season in the Dr Martins Southern Lge Eastern Div 1. But the Robins had other ideas as they themselves covet a spot in the same league and are keen to display that they have the tools for the job.
Arlesey started brightly and pushed the Robins back in an opening ten minute spell that brought a goal, this aside the Robins ran the game, they were quicker, brighter and sharper than their opponents and when Lewis Reid thundered home a free kick from outside the box there was only one winner.

Meshach Cole added a sublime second with a deft chip over the keeper from 25yrds, and Jonathan Barnett added the 3rd after good work from Cole saw the keeper closed down, Town could even afford the luxury of a disallowed goal from Cole
Manager Morell Maison was not entirely happy as he said in terms of preparation pre-season is going well, the level the boys are playing at I am happy with but tonight I have lost Junior George with lateral ligament damage, 3-6 weeks, Lance Gentle King stomach muscle strain, and Andy Prescott struggling with shin splints, though we have the squad to cope, Junior George is a big miss and physio Andy will be all out to get him fit, rest will also play a part. I have seen the two players I want too add but they are wanted men, I will keep working to get them into the club, we are close to a side that will challenge for the title this season, I want that spot that takes us into the next level.

Message Board report posted by Sue Horton

BTFC 1-0 Westfields

A competitive match against a strong Midlands side on the same level as the Robins in the feeder.
The last time these two sides met was some 20yrs ago in the FA Vase, that time Westfields ran out
3-0 winners. 

After Ryan Wiffin opened the scoring Robins controlled the match with neat pass and move. Though they over played in areas instead of clearing their lines, manager Morell Maison was happy. These games are about preparing the team for the coming season, which is going well, fitness levels are good and team play is coming along. The new players are bedding in well and I am still looking for three, possibly four as nothing has come out of the junior teams from last season. I know what I want, but then so do a lot of other managers and competition is strong for players. All departments of the team, that includes the off field team, are focused on the team doing well and the bits I am not happy with, I am quietly fixing. Of the four games played to date, I felt we did not do ourselves real justice in the game against the Dons, but this leaves us something to aspire to in terms of the football and quality we expect to reach. Two tough tests await us with Arlesey on Tuesday and Wembley on Saturday. This will complete a good pre-season preparation for July.
Message Board report posted by Sue Horton


BTFC 0-3 Milton Keynes Dons   16 July 2005

A crowd of some 1200 saw a young Robins team take on our neighbours League One MK Dons, the opening exchanges were interesting and both Moses Olalaye and Ruben Max Grant had chances to trouble the scorer, none were taken, as the game ebbed and flowed the obvious quality and attacking threat of the Dons was met by resistance and determination by the Robins' Junior George and Lewis Reid refusing to be overrun in midfield and Johnny Barnett showing some neat touches, in the 38th min though a blow for the Robins, Keeper Will Gourlay misjudged the bounce on a through ball and handled outside the area, the red card a formality, {hard though} an agreement ensured that young 15yr old Tom Willshere, an academy player at the Dons was thrown in at the deep end, minutes later after a poor kick out was returned fiercely for the opening goal, half time came and went the Dons picked up the pace and the Robins were chasing the game but still carried a goal threat, hitting the crossbar on three separate occasions, the coveted goal would not come, an excellent phase of passing by the Dons saw their second goal though the Robins it could be said conceded possession too easily, with the third not far behind the Robins showed great determination as well as good fitness levels to keep competing to the final whistle. Great weather, great crowd, an interesting match and the opportunity to see the Dons close up made for a great day, were sure they will be back next year as a championship side, we on the other hand look towards the Dr Martins Southern League.

Message Board report by Sue Horton


Unless otherwise stated, reports from the football.mitoo website.