Match Reports 2003-2004

Archive Index


Sun 9 May BTFC 0-0 Harrowby Utd from Football Mitoo

Harrowby collected the point needed for a 'podium finish' in their first Premier Division campaign with this draw at runners-up Buckingham. The match provided good entertainment despite the lack of goals. It took 35 minutes before there was a real chance, Mark Lovelace heading into the side netting after a good cross from Gary Walters, who had a goalbound effort deflected to safety shortly afterwards. At the start of the second half Darren Harmon fired over after taking a return pass from Moses Olaleye while the lively Walters almost caught out Sean Griffith in the home goal with a snap shot from the edge of the box. Stuart Blaik wasted a golden chance for Buckingham, glancing a header wide from an Adam Turner free kick while Arrows' custodian Lee Sharp made the save of the match to tip over a header from Robins substitute Warren Waugh.

Sat 8 May S&L Corby 0-3 BTFC from Football Mitoo

Buckingham did their bit but a result elsewhere left their title hopes shattered. S&L put up stern resistance before Meshach Cole broke the deadlock after 74 minutes. Three minutes later Darren Harmon scored from the penalty spot and Warren Waugh completed the scoring in the final minute.

Wed 5 May BTFC 3-1 S&L Corby from Football Mitoo

Three goals in eight second half minutes kept the Robins' title hopes alive in a match switched to Newport Pagnell's Willen Road ground. After a goalless first period while saw Dave Torrance and Pete Sneddon go close for S&L, Marcus McGillicuddy eased Buckingham nerves with a 65th minute opener, scoring from the edge of the box after taking a return pass from Meshach Cole. An important win was sealed by an Abdul Abdi brace after 70 and 73 minutes. Moses Olaleye was denied by the frame of the goal before Greig McIlwain scored a last minute S&L consolation from the penalty spot after Torrance was brought down.

Wed 21 Apr BTFC 1-3 Beaconsfield SYCOB from Football Mitoo

The Robins' bid in this competition ended in disappointment as they went down to the Spartan South Midlands champions at Aylesbury. Steve Jones gave Beaconsfield a sixth minute lead and they went further ahead through Kevin Cotton after 29 minutes. Stuart Blaik put Buckingham back in contention three minutes later but Beaconsfield sealed their win with a third goal from Alan Arthur nine minutes into the second half.

Sat 17 Apr BTFC 3-2 Yaxley from Football Mitoo

The Premier Division's two most potent attacks duelled at Ford Meadow and the Robins won the shootout to stay in the title race a point behind Spalding. Reuben Max-Grant gave Buckingham a 12th minute advantage from the penalty spot after a Mark Hanton foul only for Ricky Hailstone to fire the Cuckoos on terms after 24 minutes, direct from a 25 yard free kick. By the break the Robins again held the lead, Max-Grant again the marksman after 34 minutes. Five minutes from time Marcus McGillicuddy sealed Buckingham's win, although a penalty second from Hailstone two minutes later after a foul on Ashley Stevens made it an anxious finale for the title chasers.

Wed 14 Apr BTFC  6-2 Northampton Spencer from Football Mitoo

After four consecutive defeats Buckingham returned to winning ways in some style, and moved into second place in the table. They fell behind to a fifth minute Jamie Leah goal for the Millers, but were on terms within three minutes through Reuben Max-Grant. Meschach Cole put the Robins ahead on the stroke of half time and added a third four minutes into the second half. Marcus McGillicuddy added a 67th minute fourth before Glen Billingham scored Spencer's second three minutes later. Cole's hat trick goal after 81 minutes killed off the Millers' challenge and Abdul Abdi rounded off the scoring in the final minute.

Mon 12 Apr BTFC 0-2 Newport Pagnell Town from Football Mitoo

Buckingham's title bid suffered another setback as they crashed to a fourth successive defeat. The Swans, beaten in their last three matches, gave new managerial duo Wayne Spencer and Jimmy Stoyles their first win at the helm. Paul Edgeworth was the Newport matchwinner, opening the scoring ten minutes before the break and adding a 63rd minute second to seal the victory.

Sat 10 Apr Desborough Town 6-1 BTFC from Football Mitoo

Lowly Desborough produced one of the shocks of the season as they demolished the long time leaders of the Premier who now look outsiders for the crown. The Robins had Phil Turner sent off in the first half and Desborough made their man advantage count. Jamie Gilsenan opened the scoring after 35 minutes and on the stroke of half time George Donnelly added a second. The second saw Donnelly take centre stage with four more goals, after 55, 60 and 70 minutes. Reuben Max-Grant scored a 77th minute Buckingham consolation before Gilsenan completed the rout four minutes later.

Sat 3 Apr BTFC  1-3 St Neots Town   from Football Mitoo

A second defeat of the week knocked the Robins off pole position while keeping St Neots' faint title hopes alive. Buckingham could hardly have started better, taking a 7th minute lead through Darren Harmon after keeper Barry White parried a shot, but Jon Hoggett fired the Saints on terms just four minutes later, netting with a 35 yard blast after Mark Phillips had laid the ball back. Eight minutes into the second half Ronnie Fortune gave the visitors the lead with a stunning right foot drive after collecting a return pass from Phillips. Stuart Blaik was denied a quick Buckingham equaliser by the crossbar but the Saints made the game safe when Danny Bartley dropped deep to win possesion before setting up substitute Gary Walker who took a touch before firing past Sean Griffith to seal the victory after 76 minutes.

30 Mar Stotfold 2-1 BTFC from Football Mitoo

A Paul Garrett penalty five minutes from time sent Buckingham crashing to only their fourth defeat of the campaign. Substitute Joel West put the Eagles ahead after 52 minutes but the Robins replied through Adam Turner after 77 minutes.

6 Mar Harrowby United 2-1 BTFC from Football Mitoo

Harrowby shrugged off an early back injury suffered by Rick Ranshaw to turn in their best display of the season to topple the long time leaders. Martin Wormall scored his 26th goal of the season on the hour to put the Arrows ahead, but when Paul Stanley equalised after 72 minutes the Robins looked to be heading for another stalemate. Instead, they fell to only their third defeat of the campaign as Mark Lovelace gave Harrowby victory with an 82nd minute decider.

28 Feb BTFC 1-1 Wootton Blue Cross Report from Football Mitoo

Buckingham's eighth draw in a dozen Premier matches saw their lead at the top reduced to just four points. The Robins went ahead in this one through Reuben Max-Grant after just three minutes, but a 34th minute Ricky Bulzis reply earned Blue Cross a share of the spoils.


19 Feb  From 

A DISAPPOINTING return of just one point from their latest two home matches means Buckingham Town have won only one of the last six league matches.
Every team goes through a lean spell during the season, and it is true they have been severely hit by injuries and suspensions, but this is certainly not championship form at the moment.
However, manager Morell Maison is still very optimistic.
"There is certainly no crisis as, on the flip side, we went eight games with virtually a full team sidelined and lost just once," he said.
"Therefore, considering all the circumstances, I'm not too disappointed – we are the best team in the league and are seven points clear.
"I'm not denying it won't be a tough fight, but we'll stick together and I remain extremely confident.
"Indeed, my biggest worry is the interest other teams have shown in trying to sign my players."
On Saturday the Robins slipped to only their second league defeat of the season, 1-0 against Woodford.
Having said that, they had enough chances to have won it and, in general, did not play that badly.
They had four or five one-on-ones, but the visitors' outstanding keeper saved all of them, with Meshach Cole, Darren Harmon and Moses Olaleye the players involved.
And substitute Ruben Max-Grant also missed an opportunity in the final 20 minutes.
Woodford grabbed the only goal in the 81st minute, and although the Robins pressed hard the recent spate of hard matches finally caught up with them.
Following that, on Wednesday they were held to 1-1 by the in-form Ford Sports who have gone eight matches without defeat.
With several players returning, the Robins showed flashes of their true exciting passing game, particularly in the first half when Olaleye and Cole both missed chances, a Marcus McGillycuddy drive was cleared off the line and Darren Harmon hit the bar from the rebound.
However, the visitors also attacked with pace and Pearce missed a chance after keeper Sean Griffiths had fluffed a clearance.
If the Robins had the edge in the first half, the second was more even.
The visitors' Freed missed an opportunity before the Robins took the lead in the 67th minute after Cole was fouled in the box by Pestell. Although Cole's penalty was saved by Watts, he followed up to tuck the rebound away.
Stuart Blaik could have tied it up but missed with a free header before Ford equalised in the 78th minute. It came from a sweeping move that finished with Giles' cross being hammered in by Gibb.
That knocked the Robins back and, with several of the returning players visibly wilting, they looked very shaky in the remaining minutes and were indebted to Griffiths' fine near-post save in the dying seconds.
Maison thought his team had done enough to have won it.
"It was two points lost," he said afterwards.
"In the first half we started to get back to our passing game, but having four or five who had not played for some weeks told on us."

If the Robins do get promoted, in the latest re-structuring of the feeder leagues they will play in Southern Division One.
They will be up against the likes of Corby, Chesham, Oxford City, Slough and Thame, with their longest trips being to Clevedon, Taunton, Bideford and Yate in the West Country.



BUCKINGHAM Town picked up a vital four points from this week's two away matches.

The 2-1 win at Daventry on Tuesday evening was particularly crucial as it took them six points clear at the top with two games in hand.
And with at least six of their regulars, recently sidelined by injuries/suspensions, due back in the next week, they should be really geared up for the run-in to the title.
Daventry proved to be physical opposition and they had two players sent off, along with the Robins' Meshach Cole.
After a quiet opening, the Robins took the lead in the 15th minute when a fine ball over the top from Jamie Hawthorne gave Cole the chance to beat former Robins' keeper Paul Warnecki.
Then when Cole broke clear again he was hacked down from behind by Newman. The two players were grounded, clashed as they struggled to their feet and the referee sent them both off.
Daventry's Salisbury became the third player to receive a red card when he clattered straight through Moses Olaleye.
However, the home side equalised in the 70th minute thanks to an own goal from Hawthorne.
But the Robins were not to be denied and grabbed the vital winner five minutes later. A great move concluded with Darren Harmon producing a peach of a pass which gave Olaleye a simple tap-in.
On Saturday, the Robins took a point from a 1-1 draw with a resolute and determined Boston.
In a game where they always looked the better side, they paid for one moment of slackness at the back as Boston grabbed a late equaliser.
They certainly dominated the opening exchanges and were good value for the lead Harmon gave them. Olaleye picked him out in the box, and Harmon stopped the ball with his left foot, swivelled and rifled it in with his right.
But that was to prove to be their only success despite creating plenty of chances. Dean Whittaker missed a great opportunity by shooting tamely, while Cole had two one-on-ones with the keeper only to fail each time.
And they were made to pay when, eight minutes from the end, they switched off at the back and allowed Lewsam to equalise.



Boston Town 1-1 BTFC Report from Football Mitoo

The chasing pack are closing in on Buckingham after their sixth draw in eight outings. Darren Harmon gave the Robins a 31st minute advantage, but just when their sequence of stalements looked set to end, Bobby Lewsam popped up with an 85th minute equaliser to keep the Poachers' own unbeaten run going.


BTFC 3-2 Flackwell Heath  Report from  Football Mitoo


The Robins moved into the last four with an extra time win over their Ryman League opponents. Dean Whittaker, making a rare start, gave Buckingham a sixth minute lead, only for Matt Clarke to level after 24 minutes. Moses Olaleye restored the Robins' advantage after 69 minutes but a second Flackwell leveller from Rob Coombes after 80 minutes took the match into extra time. Whittaker popped up with Buckingham's extra time winner after 107 minutes



IN the circumstances, Buckingham Town's 1-1 draw at Wootton Blue Cross was a point gained rather than two lost.
Devastated by a lengthy injury list, they only had 11 fit players and manager Morell Maison was forced to include himself on the bench.
Add that to worsening pitch conditions due to driving rain throughout, then it was a creditable result which, with others going in their favour, keeps them well clear at the top.
The Robins had slightly the edge in the first half and could have been ahead at half-time, with Darren Harmon looking the most likely.
But it was the home side that took the lead around the hour mark.
A massive wind-assisted kick by the keeper landed in the Robins' penalty area. Keeper Sean Griffiths called for his defence to leave it to him, failed to make it and collided with Paul Stanley to leave Chambers with a simple chance.
However, the Robins were level seven minutes later when Harmon latched on to Meshach Cole's pass and lashed it past the keeper.
He almost gave them the lead shortly afterwards. This time he was put in by Dean Chapman, took it round the keeper and shot towards goal. He wheeled away in delight only to be stopped in his tracks as the ball stuck in the mud and was eventually cleared.
Wootton went straight down the other end and were denied by the woodwork.
The home side really piled on the pressure in the final 15 minutes. It was like the Alamo at times, but the Robins held out.
It wasn't pretty, but it was a point gained.

The Robins drew 0-0 after extra-time at Flackwell Heath in their Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy Second Round match.
The replay is at Ford Meadow next Wednesday, January 28, 7.45pm.



BUCKINGHAM Town have applied to be considered for promotion should their finishing position at the end of the season qualify them for it.

And with them currently five points clear with games in hand, the odds on that must be very short.
Although the structure of the football pyramid for next season is still being negotiated, the club have applied to the UCL for a place in the higher standard – this application will be forwarded to the FA.
As club treasurer Robin Taylor explained: "Nobody knows what the new structure might be and we are waiting to hear what the grading and ground requirements might be."
He said there was some money available from the Football Foundation and that the Ford Meadow Club will have to finance any shortfall.
"We are looking to improve the main stand and the changing rooms," he continued.
"We felt we needed to be part of the new structure, and the progress of the team and all aspects of the club warrant our application."
Naturally team manager Morell Maison is delighted.
"We are certainly in the driving seat and, although the recent injuries and suspensions made me a little reticent, the squad has responded well," he said.
"So much has been happening at the club which is now on an upward swing and that has given the committee the confidence to go ahead.
"There is real feel-good factor and I'm very happy about it."
BTFC 6-1 Deeping Rangers Sat 10 Jan 2004
In their latest match the Robins beat Deeping Rangers 6-1 at Ford Meadow.
Despite still being without a number of regulars, they produced some good, exciting football and dominated throughout.
The returning Meshach Cole got them off to a great start by finishing off good work by Darren Harmon and Moses Olaleye to fire the Robins in front in the opening five minutes.
And five minutes later Lewis Julius was instrumental as Harmon made it 2-0.
Harmon made it 3-0 before half-time when he beat the offside trap and latched on to Dean Whittaker's through ball.
Maison sent on Hutchinson for Julius as the second half started and it was not long before Cole evaded three defenders and curled a shot into the bottom corner for 4-0.
Cole and Olaleye were then withdrawn and replaced by Ruben Max-Grant and Giuseppe Lagioia.
The changes made little or no difference to the Robins' superiority, and Phil Turner made it 5-0 with a superb goal of the match.
Collecting the ball from keeper Sean Griffiths on the edge of his own penalty area, he ran the length of the pitch to the Deeping box before shooting into the back of the net.
Harmon grabbed the sixth by completing his hat trick, poaching the goal after the ball had rebounded off the keeper.
Deeping grabbed a consolation in the last minute.


Blackstones 2-3 BTFC Sat 3 Jan 2004. From

DESPITE being without at least seven regular first-teamers, Buckingham Town continued their march towards the championship with a fine 3-2 win last at Blackstones.

Although injuries and suspensions are hitting the Robins hard, manager Morell Maison says there will be no change of tactics.
"We will continue to stick to our footballing principles," he said.
"Despite being under-strength we are still winning matches, although perhaps not by such convincing margins as we did earlier in the season.
"Hopefully we will have a few back shortly, although we won't be back to full strength until mid-February.
"That said, if we can keep winning while not at full strength, it augurs well for the future."
At Blackstones, they fell behind after just five minutes when they gave the ball away and Epps took full advantage.
The home side battled well and were quick to deny the Robins space and that's how it stayed until half-time, although the Robins could well have been leading had not Abdul Abdi, Darren Harmon and Dean Chapman all missed chances.
However, the Robins levelled 10 minutes into the second half when Chapman made up for his earlier miss.
Then Harmon also made amends by giving them the lead.
The second half was an entertaining end-to-end affair and Blackstones tied it up again when keeper Sean Griffiths failed to reach a cross and Farrington took full advantage.
But the Robins refused to be denied and stretched their lead at the top to five points when Adam Turner volleyed home a great winner in the 84th minute.


BUCKINGHAM Town picked up a very valuable point from a 1-1 draw at Spalding.

The home side are arguably Town's main challengers in the championship chase and really needed to win to haul themselves back into serious contention.
But, even without Adam Turner, Meshach Cole, Ruben Max-Grant and Nathan Bailey, the Robins were good value for the point that keeps them 12 points clear of the opposition.
They started well and had the boost of taking the lead in the sixth minute. Dean Chapman went down the left, played a one-two and supplied a lovely cross which Darren Harmon half-volleyed past the keeper. They were on top for the next 20 minutes or so and Abdul Abdi, Harmon and Moses Olaleye all had chances to increase the lead.
However, on the stroke of half-time they were caught on the break and Watts sent Hudson racing between two defenders to equalise.
The second half was end-to-end and made an entertaining spectacle for the sizeable crowd with both sides going for the win.
Spalding were denied by both the post and the bar, but the Robins also had their chances and they deserved to keep their rivals at arm's length.
They go into the Christmas programme having dropped just five points from 18 games and travel to Newport Pagnell on Saturday with a healthy lead at the top of the table.

Cogenhoe United 0-2 Buckingham Town From

BUCKINGHAM extended their lead to nine points over second-placed Cogenhoe on Saturday in this absorbing advertisement for United Counties League football.

The clash between the two Premier Division pacesetters was evenly balanced in the first period, although playing into a strong wind made conditions difficult for the Robins to achieve any sort of penetration.
After a number of half chances fell to both sides, the first 45 minutes ended goalless.
The Robins stepped up the tempo in the second period and their midfield mastery and persistent forward pressure paid dividends with two goals.
In the last five minutes Dean Whittaker scored from a rebound in a goalmouth scramble.
Paul Stanley's shot appeared to go over the Cogenhoe line only to come out again and, as the referee did not blow his whistle, Whittaker ensured there was no doubt by putting away the rebound.
Shortly afterwards fast-running Moses Olaleye, who had tormented the home defence all afternoon, was floored for the fifth time and the referee pointed to the spot. Adam Turner slotted the ball home coolly to give the Robins a well-deserved win.
Manager Morell Maison said afterwards: "It was a tough game for us as Cogenhoe are a handy side who had only let in one goal at home in their last nine games.
"We did well to win in difficult conditions and still have a healthy lead at the top of the division.

Buckingham Town 4 Desborough 0.  Report by Derek Carpenter

Desperate Desborough - Bottom of the table – away to top-of-the table Town, determined to battle for honour but the Robins drew blood with an eleventh minute goal.

Moses Olaleye sent in a high cross that the 'keeper could only "tee-up" - volley ball style - for Darren Harman to volley home. Robins' fans thought that Christmas had come early until Marcus McGillycuddy received a red card, two minutes later.
Desborough rallied and kept the reorganised Robins, pegged-back in their own half until the break.
The second period saw a very different band-of-ten. They produced some familiar link-play with Moses giving the Lincolnshire lads a nightmare experience. Their desperation spilled over after ten minutes. Moses had just made good run, collecting a slightly over-hit pass half-way down the right wing. He just managed to pass the first Desborough assailant before a second, secured the ball, up-ending Moses in the process. Determined, he re-gained his feet - and the ball - in a single movement, enjoyed three loping paces of free running before he was comprehensively "taken-out" by a defender. A moment of madness, handbags, handshakes after a red-card  and calm: then it was ten against ten.

Meshach Cole received the ball as he ran on, with a defender shadowing him. He pushed the ball on, ran round the turning defender who resorted to bundling him over, inside the penalty area.
Happily, the benefit of the doubt prevailed over the red-card. Shacker was more than happy to slide home the penalty in great style and claim the goal he deserved. Moses and Abdul Abdi completed the scoring.

The Blues did have one late chance. A forward was charging through on-goal but managed to loft the ball clear of the fir-trees – Wilko style – some feat that in itself. Unfortunately, that was the best that plucky Desborough could manage.

This was not one of our classic matches but one which demonstrated the Robins' capacity to dig-in, re-group and come out on top.
Two red cards may tell one story but those present will tell another: the game was fought hard and with great spirit, by both sides.

Supporters dig-this!   Report by Derek Carpenter from the message board.

FA Vase second round.

Buckingham Town 4 Maldon Town 1.

It’s Saturday morning on the day-of-the-match.

It’s 10.35, ring-ring.
“Allo boy, It’s Robin (Taylor). “We’re in trouble. The pitch is under water and the Maldon lads are on-their-way. We must try to get this game played. I need as many people as you can get by ringing-around, down to the ground with forks: if we start forking now, we might just do it .”

So ring-around, I did. I finished phoning, went down to the ground myself –complete with garden fork.
And there they were! Robins Ground-force-plus had beaten me to it.
That’s to say, the regular grounds-people – Robin Taylor and inveterate helpers Ray Marsden and Phil Runicles - PLUS diggers for the day, some other Robins supporters.

The scene looked more like Southey Creek, Maldon, with the locals digging for bait at low-tide. In-reality, it was a very wet Ford Meadow but two hours work by a dozen or-so supporters enable this match to proceed.
First battle won. Well done Ground-force plus!

And now, about the match.

We knew we would be without Ruben Max-Grant (groin-strain) and Darren Harmon (cup-tied) who had contributed so much to Robins’ run of success and that Blaiky had been shaky with an ankle problem.

We made a very bright start, with Blaiky playing, as usual, at the back and Abdul Abdi, this time, up-front.

With barely a minute gone, Moses was at-it again: another fine run down the right and a hard-driven cross which Marcus could not quite connect with. However, Marcus soon made amends. He was left a little too much space to work in and punished the defender by cutting-in from the left and blasting the ball past the hapless ‘keeper: 1-0.

In the tenth minute, Blaiky, was trying to head the ball into the opposing half but only got a fleeting touch –not like him at all. He seemed to wince, with irritation, at the header but I think it was because his ankle had had troubled him, either on the way up or as he landed. So Blaiky was replaced by Darren Whittaker and the team switched to Plan B.

Maldon were well contained until the twenty-eighth minute when Sean Griffiths made a fine save from the Maldon number ten’s fine shot. From the resulting corner, the number ten lofted-over from eight yards – let-off!

The Robins were stung into action. Meshach Cole was through on goal, only to be denied by a superbly-timed tackle then, Ian Trott, playing in his last match for Robins before moving to France, had his fine downward-header blocked on the line. Shacker reacted quickly to strike the rebound just over the bar. Phew. Good cup-tie this!

In the second half, Maldon were still showing signs that they are a force to be reckoned with and the Blues grabbed an equaliser in the fifty-first minute – match-on!

Things began to get very lively, in true knockout-cup style. Adam Turner, showed great self-control, riding some “borderline” defensive clattering and was rewarded with a twenty-five yard free kick, which cleared the crossbar by a yard.

The Blues were battling robustly for the ball and committing more to attack now: Gary Hutchinson replaced Dean to deal with the threat and help regain control.

Robins started to look very dangerous now and another text-book, Moses cross, from the goal-line, was converted by Abdul Abdi in the sixty-first minute – 2-1.

In the eighty-sixth minute. A fine pass from Adam to Moses, enabled him, again, to demonstrate how to fire into the danger area and Abdul was on hand to oblige - 3-1.

The Blues were down but their fire very definitely not out. Three minutes from time, they earned a free-kick, which a substitute struck with the assuredness of Jonny Wilkinson and the power of fresh legs. “Would the Blues strike home and blow the Robins defences apart?”
“No”, said Sean, by catching the cannonball knee-high. “It’s my ball,” he might have said, “an’ you guys are finished?”
Then, on ninety-minutes, Marcus had the last word, in case the battling Blues had not heard- 4-1.

An excellent match which Robins deserved to win. The Blues may feel hard-done by the margin, having contributed so much to this match – a fine testament to non-league football at this level.

Finally, well done and farewell Ian Trott and family. We’ll miss you Trotty.

BTFC 7-0 Bourne Town 8 Nov Report by Derek Carpenter from the message board.

You could say that Darren Harman "missed" a hat trick as he clattered the woodwork twice and just could not find the net once more. However, as lively as ever, he was ducking and weaving, looping over and flicking on the ball at lightning speed such that poor Bourne did not know which way to turn. "Ratty" had been denied by a well-timed, last-ditch tackle by the Bourne defender. It was not until the forty-third minute that the Bourne barrier was finally breached when, yes - that man D.H. - cut-back the ball from the goal line for Marcus to claim his first goal.
The fans in the stands had been getting edgy and prompted almost idle Mr. Griffiths - Scully to his friends - to "Wind 'em up Scully".

Well, over a nice cup of tea, somebody must have because, in the second half, they were awesome.
Fiftieth minute and hungry Marcus McGillycuddy cannon-balls in his second from "inside-left" position.
It was sustained ball-passing now as the Robins took total control. In one manoeuvre, there were seven "aggressive" passes before Moses crossed: a desperately outstretched Bourne foot got a blocking touch but well-placed sub, Dean Whittaker, snapped up the rebound, "Thank-you-Wham!" Three-nil.
Bourne were disintegrating, with Marcus assisting Dean's second on seventy-five minutes and making his third minutes later for himself after passing five (yes FIVE!) defenders.
Dean soon scored his third - six-nil - before 'Shack stacked on the pain, to make it seven-nil.
And that's not all. Back in the clubhouse comes the news that Raunds have beaten Spalding, the Tulips leaking shipped FIVE goals when they only managed four.
Well done Raunds - you might have turned us over the other week.

And so to WEDNESDAY v Thatcham Town. We owe them one as knocked us out of the B & B last year.

St Neots Town 2-3 BTFC  Report by Derek Carpenter from the message board.

The Robins had an excellent first half being in almost total control for the first forty minutes. In the twelfth minute, Marcus McGillycuddy hit the mark in splendid style, courtesy of Darren Harmon's supply work.
One minute later and it was Meshach's turn to apply an excellent finish to yet more raw material from Harmon's Supplies.
The UCL Title favourites were really up against it and, in the thirty-eighth minute, suffered again when Adam Turner steady himself for another of his regular swinging stingers, this time from twenty-five yards.

Game over at three-nil? Against Daventry Town,in mid-week, that certainly was the case but St. Neots were a different proposition. They worked to the do or die anyway principal and sparking to life - first with a threatening free kick that skidded off Ian Trott's head and then an attacker. Sean was forced to make a save and finally Sean was beaten on the stroke of half-time by St. Neot's Ronnie Fortune. GAME ON!

were much more like title contenders in the second half, they found more space down the right flank with ex-Robin Michael Cox setting up some useful moves. It was from such a move that, in the sixty-eighth minute, Paul Bloss drove past Sean from eight yards, doing justice to their play. Sean was as busy as he's been in the UCL this year making good saves including one, reminiscent of the famous Gordon Banks' save from Pele.

This game was capable of going either way with St. Neots having the edge on points during the second half. That said, Robins had clear scoring chances which could have put the game beyond the reach of a very good St. Neots team.

Robins supporters enjoyed the sound of the final whistle and a St. Neots supporter yelled "Lucky Buckingham" I think he must have forgotten the winning platform built by an exceptional Robins first-half performance.

Well done Buckingham and thank you St. Neots for what was one of the most entertaining games of the season.

Taken from the website at

AFTER two fluke goals had ended Buckingham Town's 100% start to the league season in a 2-0 defeat by Spalding last Saturday, they bounced back in great style to beat Daventry Town 4-0 on Wednesday evening.

In truth, there was only one team in it as Daventry were second-best throughout.
Moses Olaleye and Marcus McGillycuddy created havoc down the flanks, although man of the match was two-goal Darren Harmon.
He was back to his irrepressible best, his movement leading the Daventry defence a merry dance, while his link-up play was also excellent.
It took the Robins just eight minutes to break through as Meshach Cole cut inside and pulled the ball back for Abdul Abdi to score.
Harmon notched his first in the 19th minute when he pounced on the ball and coolly rounded the keeper after Ian Trott's chip had evaded the centre-backs.
As a contest, the match was as good as all over when Harmon made it 3-0 in the 33rd minute.
Playing a one-two with Olaleye, he teed up McGillycuddy whose shot was cleared off the line, but Harmon was on hand to curl the ball back into the net.
Already without Ruben Max-Grant, Phil Turner and Nathan Bailey, the Robins could afford the luxury of taking Harmon off as they cruised through the second half.
And they wrapped it up in the 79th minute with a trademark run and shot from McGillycuddy.
Against Spalding, the match was barely a minute old when keeper Sean Griffiths dribbled the ball to the edge of the box before hitting his clearance against Spalding's Watts. The ball could have gone anywhere, but sailed back past Griffiths to nestle in the back of the net.
Then, 86 minutes later, Stanhope got the faintest touch on a right-wing cross. The ball struck incoming substitute Simon Carmichael, who had no chance of getting out of the way, and deflected off him and gently past Griffiths.
In between, Spalding frustrated the Robins by packing their midfield and defence and showing little urgency to get dead balls back in play.
Town missed Ruben Max-Grant up front and his ability to hold the ball up and bring his team-mates into play. And, in truth, despite having by far the majority of the possession, they lacked that little bit of invention and inspiration of previous matches.
Junior George did his best in midfield, but Meshach Cole and Darren Harmon were well policed by an uncompromising defence, while Moses Olaleye had one of his quieter games.
Marcus McGillycuddy was their most potent attacking outlet and he made several promising runs which could have brought him a goal.
However, too often the ball was played up the middle where the visitors' central defenders had much the upper hand.
Having said that, the Robins did have their chances.
In the first half McGillycuddy shot just wide, keeper Cross went full-length to turn away Adam Turner's firm drive and then, just before half-time, Stuart Blaik's header from Adam Turner's corner was cleared off the line and Harmon hooked the rebound over from close range.
Olaleye was also narrowly off-target as the second half got underway, but then the Robins went off the boil for a spell and Appleby was denied by Griffiths.
Back came the home side again but, despite McGillycuddy going close on at least three occasions and an Olaleye cross which passed across the six-yard box without anyone able to apply a finishing touch, that all-important equaliser wouldn't come.
And with time running out that unfortunate own goal put paid to their chances.
Manager Morell Maison was naturally disappointed, but not too down-hearted.
"It was disappointing to end our winning run in such an unlucky manner," he said afterwards. "However, if they are our nearest challengers, then I don't think we have much to worry about."



BTFC 0-2 Spalding Utd. Report by Derek Carpenter from the message board.

Second-minute stinger signals dodgy day at the office.

How many times have you seen a keeper aim a punt up field only to see it deflected "anywhere"? There we all were, match not really started, the keeper has the ball safe and the ref is scampering towards the centre circle. Boot, thud..goal! Sean's up field punt was charged down, stinging Spalding striker Paul Watts' back-side as well as the Robins: not the start we would want against the team with the league's meanest defence.
However, the boys knuckled down and their workmanlike approach work brought several near-misses even though Marcus and Moses were up against some classier than usual full backs. Town had most of the play but Spalding's well marshalled defence left very little space. It took a fine runs from, a visibly improving Marcus to create his own chance, only to fire over the bar from twenty yards. Later, a quieter than usual Moses, now being supplied with better passes, made several great runs down the right - one resulting in a fine cross that eluded Meshach's head by inches, just four yards from goal, and another, a powerful shot two feet wide of the post.

It was not until the sixtieth minute that the Tulips had a shot - on goal but off target. A minute later, Sean snapped up a tidy shot that was destined to slide in under the bar.

It was all or nothing now for Town: substitutions, plenty of effort but no luck. In the eighty-sixth minute, Spalding were able to make the most of increased space at the back and tucked-away a low cross from short range.

Robins kept hard at it until the final whistle signal the end of a fine run of ten league wins.

Back in the club bar the Spalding players, officials and supporters responded well to the evening's "scratch-card" man (me).
"Are you feeling lucky today lads?"
They laughed, as well they might, and generously dipped into their pockets for a few quid for a scratch-card team. And who won the prize? JCL a Director - of Spalding, of course.

The telly announce that Thurrock (Remember them?) had just beaten the Daggers to earn a home FA Cup First Round tie with LUTON TOWN. Well done Thurrock.....just think, it could have been US.

This Saturday, it was definitely a dodgy day at the office.

Are we down-hearted? NO!!

See you Wednesday for the Home UCL match against Daventry Town.


Buckingham Town 3 Raunds 1. Report by Derek Carpenter from the message board.

Sounds easy? Not on your life. Town Had a very good opening twenty minutes with Ruben shaving the crossbar with a shot-cum-cross and several superb attacking moves which lacked the right final pass. Raunds battled to get on top during the second quarter and eventually went ahead through a penalty, superbly taken by Duane St.John, awarded after several indecisive defensive moves.

Third quarter and we are struggling to make our midfield click - it's not looking good. Now their lively forward Ben Holley breaks down the left, cuts in and lets go a stinger that's going inside the far post. Our man Sean Griffiths is equal to it and his fingertips push the ball wide. Substitutions are made over the next few minutes Morell sending out Messrs. Simon Carmichael, Meshack Cole and Abdul Abdi with a few tips on how to approach the game, some advice from a man in the stand "Wake-up reds!" and a free kick twenty-five yards out. Up strides Mr. Cole, whack -one-nil! (Your mum was delighted).
then we really wake up with everybody taking a pot-shot at 'keeper Danny McKenzie and then it's two-nil. Thank you spectator for your advice, thank you management team for the substitutions and playing tips and thank you Mr. Cole for your second as you finally put it past the beleagured Mr. McKenzie. (Meshack's mum now delirious).

Now we scent victory and Raunds are really on the back foot thanks to Robins' hard work. The keeper miscues a clearance, defenders panic and fail to clear and A grateful Mr. Abdul coolly glides a daisy-cutter plumb-centre of the posts from thirty-five yards as the keeper is making the long trip back to goal, too late.

Ten out of ten - 30 POINTS - well done everybody.

Now for Spalding at home next Saturday.


Woodford United 0-1 BTFC Report by Derek Carpenter from the message board.

On a windy night at Woodford the Robins clinched the points which took them to the top of the table.
Town took a deserved lead in the sixteenth minute when Ruben Max-Grant drove home from close range following a corner.
For a while it looked as though they would take total control but United's harrying and chasing succeeded in disturbing Robins' familiar rhythm. Non-availability of players necessitated team changes but this didn't stop the reds from creating chances, although Woodford had a couple of their own. In the first half, Moses just failed to make a good contact in front of goal from a menacing low cross. In the second half, at a corner kick, Stuart Blake rose to beat the United big-boys only to get-under the ball sending it over the bar. Abdul, with a cheeky back-heel, made the most of a low-driven corner which plopped on top of the crossbar after a defender had nudged it on. Meshach, back from injury and often looking very lively, sent in a fine shot which deflected off a defender's head and just over the bar - the defender knowing little about it.
Woodford also had their moments during a good spell requiring Gary Hutchinson to head clear a threatening cross and, several minutes later, Sean had to pray, when he was uncharacteristically stranded on his line: his prayers were answered with the attacker squandering his free-header. Minutes later Sean was down on the ball ending a one-on-one dual with a Woodford forward.
United did well to contain the new league leader's fire-power. This match was a potential banana skin where Woodford could have won, Buckingham should have won - and did so thanks to determined concentration and gritty effort. Well done lads.
So Robins are top of the UCL Premier with 27 points from 9 games.
Tonight, all eyes should be on BBC1 (East) Ceefax page 399 for the results as Harrowby are away to Blackstone and Spalding are at home to Holbeach.


BTFC 4-0 Boston Town Report from message board by Derek Carpenter.


Turners turn the screw on Boston.
During the first twenty minutes Boston gave as good as they got, seeing the ball flash past Sean's posts while the Robins had created a good chance.
It was Reuben Max-Grant who struck first, his goal seeming to take the wind from the Boston lads who, shortly afterwards conceded another. Darren Harmon showed no sympathy for a defender, whose downward header only partially cleared a teasing cross - whack! Two-nil!
"A nice time to score isn't it, just before the half-time whistle" said my companion in the stand.

Time for a cup of Lucy's tea? Not yet. Bring on a Turner. You don't have to ask. Adam curled in a wonderful shot from twenty-five yards plus. Three - nil! Now it's time for tea.

We spend half-time wondering how far we need travel to find a 'keeper to save a shot like that one.

It's the second half and Boston, although fighting hard, look well and truly broken. Chances are made but not converted by the Robins playing very slick football.

Bring on another Turner: this time Adam's brother Phil sees his chance, racing from his own half makes thirty five yards of territory before Boston could re-group,does a 1-2 with Ruben before cutting the ball back from the goal-line for Nathan Bailey to get the goal he's deserved for some time for all his hard running.

It's nice to see so many names on the score sheet. They all want a piece of the action don't they? So let's not forget Sean whose dulcet tones, yelling "KEEEEE- PP - ERRRR!" are not so much in evidence today. He makes a neat tip-over-the-bar but not, this time, to keep us in the match. This is one of Boston's rare attacking spells.

And now to the clubhouse for bangers and chips.
"It,ll help ease the pain", says a Boston team official.
Now Brian brings the results from other matches.
Spalding 2 Daventry 2,.......
Stotfold 4 Harrowby 1 "YYYYYEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH!" say all of us.
"It's been a good day at the office" shrieks a delighted Morell. (Sorry Brian, you were saying?)

And sorry Boston enjoy the grub 'cos it;s a long journey back.
Great entertaiment everybody, thank you.
And now to SKY Sport...and will it have quite that magic?


Buckingham Town 1-2 Thurrock Taken from the website at

TOWN crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday after visitors Thurrock snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with two late goals, writes Mark Pendred.

Playing before their biggest crowd of the season, the Robins outplayed the Kent side for most of the second qualifying round match and were 1-0 up when their cup dream was shattered in the dying minutes.
From the start, the Robins took the game to Thurrock, with Adam Turner and Junior George winning the midfield battle against the more experienced Paul Linger and Steve Heffer.
But despite their supremacy they failed to convert several goalscoring chances and the first period ended 0-0.
Eighteen seconds after the restart the Robins' dominance paid off when Abdul Abdi threaded a pass through to Moses Olaleye, who cut inside to blast home a shot past 'keeper Paul Gothard.
Victory looked in sight for the home side but Thurrock countered by putting three men up front in a last-ditch bid to get on the scoresheet.
The ploy worked for in the 85th minute Town's defence was caught offguard as Cliff Akurang pounced to head the equaliser from a corner.
Two minutes later Town's gloom deepened as Thurrock's Howard raced down the left flank and crossed into the box for a fellow player to nod home at the back post.
Town were unable to save the match despite a late penalty appeal and Olaleye also went close with a strike.
Manager Morell Maison said afterwards: "I'm very proud of our players. We made all the running and were very unlucky to get beaten. We had most of the play and Thurrock never really imposed themselves on us.
"To quote their chairman, the best team on the day lost. It was a fantastic game."



Ford Sports (Daventry) 1 Buckingham Town 3

The Robins showed no signs of their recent exit from the FA Cup with a good win over Ford Sports.
The game began with Town asking all the questions with long balls through the Ford defence but just failing to find that final touch. Things seemed to go astray during the latter part of the first half, with the midfield losing its firm grip of the game.
Soon after the re-start Junior George converted a Moses low-cross from the right. This showed what could be achieved at half-time by way of kick-starting the whole team.
A little later, Morell brought on a trio of subs - Gary Hutchinson, Marcus McGillycuddy and Darron Harmon, returning from Newport Pagnell. This seemed to mesmerise Ford for, as they tried to cover the threat from these known danger-men, they left just a bit more space for Moses. He didn't wait for an invitation to exploit this and eventually found goal after cutting in from the right and letting-loose a stinger from 20 yards to make it 2-0.
It was all Robins now and Darron was rewarded for his lively display by tapping-in after Darren Watts had parried a fine shot from Ruben - 3-0).

Ford pulled one back through a penalty, 3-1 but it could have been five.
With Harrowby losing last night, we are starting to close the gap.
Well done lads. We shall see you at Ford Meadow on Saturday for the visit of Boston.


Report by Derek Carpenter. Taken from the message board.


25 September 2003 From BuckinghamOnline web site at


BUCKINGHAM Town produced some delightful football last Saturday to brush aside high-flying visitors Holbeach 6-3 and move back up to second in the table.


The only negative aspect was they conceded three goals, two of them with the visitors down to 10 men, but that should not detract from what was an outstanding performance that fully justified their standing as one of the favourites for the title.
And, in fact, they could well have scored more goals themselves, with some of their approach play a delight to watch.
Yet, before they had settled, the visitors took a ninth-minute lead. Dunn appeared to be trying to head Speechley's free kick back across goal but, as players from both sides hesitated, the ball looped into the far corner.
The Robins levelled in the 15th minute when Abdul Abdi helped on a cross for Ruben Max-Grant to cleverly hook home.
Paul Oakley made a very promising debut wide out on the left and it was he who headed the ball down for Max-Grant to hook in his second five minutes later.
The match blew up in the 27th minute when Adam Turner's strong tackle left a defender needing treatment. The referee did not penalise Adam Turner and that incensed the visitors who had Cundy sent off for protesting too vehemently.
Moses Olaleye and Junior George went close, but in the 33rd minute hesitation between keeper Sean Griffiths and Nathan Bailey let in Dunn to head the equaliser.
Parity lasted just a minute, however, as Abdi forced his way through to put the Robins back in front 3-2.
Then George picked up Simon Carmichael's shrewd ball and showed great skill to cross for Max-Grant to complete his hat trick.
The Robins were irresistible in the opening 15 minutes of the second half and several chances went begging.
They had to wait until the 71st minute for their next goal, but it was worth waiting for. A great move involving Abdi and Olaleye ended with man of the match Adam Turner slamming an unstoppable shot into the far corner.
Ten minutes later substitute Marcus McGillycuddy pulled the ball back for fellow-substitute Gary Hutchinson to crack in the sixth.
Holbeach pulled one back five minutes from the end when Phil Turner tripped Dunn and the latter made no mistake from the spot.
This result and performance should put the Robins in good heart for this Saturday's FA Cup tie against Ryman Premier Division side Thurrock at Ford Meadow.


Buckingham Town 2 Ware 1 aet, (1-1 @ 90mins).

The Robins made it after a long, long game.
Scorelines:1-0, 1-1, then Marcus McGillycuddy marked his second appearance of the season with a fine goal in extra-time, 2-1.
Robins had seen two fine strikes at goal from Meshach Cole well saved, struck the crossbar twice and looked to have struck the post once as the ball rebounded at high speed. In "fact", according to those close-by, including the Ware 'keeper, it was blocked by a defender but was at least one foot over the line. In "fact", according to the lino - the ball was not entirely over the line. Did he know best? Well, those on the spot say that he was "reviewing" an earlier incident with a well known, very engaging turnstile keeper: was he distracted?

Overall, Town thoroughly deserve their 2nd, Qualifying Round Home Tie with Thurrock (Ryman Premier Division) on Saturday September 27th.

Congratulations the Robins and well done Ware: your lads just fought hard throughout and we enjoyed the company of your fans, especially in the bar, both home and away.

By Derek Carpenter (Message board)


Ware FC 2  Buckingham Town 2

Mark Bridge put Ware went ahead after ten minutes only for the Robins to reply immediately with two goals in as many minutes. Scorers Ruben Max-Grant and Ian Trott (shown scoring his goal of last season on this year's Meadow Magazine cover) suggesting that the Robins' fast-flowing football was back on-stream. Ware's defender Dave Greenwood was dismissed for stamping on a Robin's ankle right in front of the referee and the goalkeeper Tony Tillbrook for deliberately handling outside the area: Ruben was bearing towards his second goal, nodded the ball downwards only for the keeper to steal possession.

Brian Maycock, the Robins' Fixture Secretary was sounding understandably triumphant when 'phoning back to Ford Meadow with the half-time news "2-1 to us and they've had two sent off including  their 'keeper." He was replaced by the usual first choice keeper who made his mark with a fine performance denying all the Robins' attempts, except the one that hit the post, as substitute Marcus McGillycuddy tried to mark his recent return from Spain.

It was a day the Robins' were never going to find the goal to settle the tie and things were looking a bit nervous at the back. Then came the equaliser that the courageous nine-men from Ware deserved.

Brian again phoned back to base "You'll never believe it - 2-2 !  How did Padbury BTFC get on (against Buckingham Athletic in the SML Cup)? Playing extra-time? Great performance! They finally went down 2-1 to a late goal and a penalty. Well done lads.

Don't forget Robins fans, look out for SML Division 2 Padbury BTFC matches when the first team are away - they are a force to be reckoned with).

And so to Wednesday night's replay. See you all there!

Thanks to Derek Carpenter for the above match report.


Long Buckby 0-5 BTFC

The first of Ruben's two goals was a fine header converting a pin-point cross following a fine run down the right wing by the industrious Meshach Cole. Ruben scored once more and thumped the underside of the bar before Meshach came on-stream: one, two then I asked "Who's gonna be first to get three?"
Up shot Ruben's arm but it was he who unselfishly supplied Meshach with the the opportunity for Meshach's third. Town supporters might have voted him Man of the Match for his solid work even without the goals: there's no MoM award but congratulations Shacker, you thoroughly deserved your hat-trick.
Disappointment for Blaiky whose fine headed goal was disallowed because of events taking place elsewhere and for Adam Turner whose unflagging competitiveness combined with tiredness to produce a "clumsy-clip" and a red card.
Well done EVERYBODY!

Report posted on the message board by Derek Carpenter.


Buckingham Town Vs Ford Sports Daventry

Buckingham Town again were expected as always to win today's match. Town started poorly almost identical to Wednesday night game against Southend Manor, gifting Daventry some good early possession.
Louis Julius was given a chance in the starting line-up on the left hand side, due to his good performance against Southend Manor. Louis didn't fail to impress with some good runs and touches on the left wing. Although some good individual play Robins didn't gel together in the first half. Both sides missed some good chances, that could of been down to some diabolical refereeing.


Half Time

The second-half was a different story with the Robins playing much better football and keeping possession more frequently. Town were now beginning to find openings in Fords Sports defence. Ten minutes into the second half Dykes limped off injured due to we understand, ligament damage. Moses replaced Dykes and showed some great skill and determination to create an opening in Daventry's defence. Ruben came on for Abdul who had  a very quiet game. Moses again went on a wonder run taking several players on laying the ball calmly to Ruben to tap home in his third consecutive substitution appearance. The game now 1 - 0 Town started to knock the ball around much better releasing Moses with some great fifty yard balls from Adam Turner. Moses again taking several players on playing the ball to Louis to smash home. The game finished 2 - 0 to Town much deserved due to some good play in the second half. Town now play Ware or London Colney in the next round. Scully made the save of the century to keep a clean sheet for town. To round things up the referee had a poor game.

Man of the Match = Moses Olaleye
Due to such an impact he made after coming on.

Richard Roach (Tricky Dicky)
Callum T


Buckingham Town 4-1 (AET) Southend Manor

Buckingham Town began with a strong starting eleven, expectations were high and Town were expected to win tonight's match.

Town started poorly and conceded a sloppy early goal through dreadful defending 0-1.

The Robins were able to grab one back twenty minutes later from a good corner delivery from Dykesy where a scramble broke out in the box and the big man Blaikey was able to blast home  1-1.

Town were not at there best throughout the first half, however things gradually got better during the second half. Half-time.

Town were now playing better and releasing Dykes more on the right hand side, unfortunately there was no end product to the good build up play.

Buckingham were now beginning to knock the ball round more smoothly which led to some great long range shots from Adam Turner and Aaron Brennon, which went just wide.

Southend were then at the other end where the ball had been slotted through to a Southend striker, he was now one on one with Scully, Scully had probably made one of the saves of the sessions already.
The game finished 1-1 at full time, which meant extra time and then maybe even penalties. Town began to play much better as they knew what was at stake.

They took the lead with an emphatic finish by Junior George 2-1.That goal really got the team and Robins supporters buzzing.

Town were now looking for a third as they were playing much better. They went three one ahead through Meshach Cole 3-1. Town were now comfortable and now just had to keep possession for the remainder of the game. But the Robins were still looking for the fourth and finally got it through Ruben Max-Grant. 4-1

                          Callum Tychowski and Tricky Dicky player review.
       Sean Griffiths-
Sean kept Town in the match with some tremendous saves in the closing half                                an hour. Although throughout the game Sean      
                               didn't have to much to do he made a fantastic save, which is                                                  probably an understatement, to keep the score line at one.

       N.Bailey- made some quality runs from the back for the midfield to slot balls
                        through controversially caught off side on both occasions.

       Phil Turner -made some charging runs from the defense to slot some lovely balls
                             through to the front two.

       Ian Trott -  didn’t have much to do throughout, but when called upon tidied up
                          nicely at the back.

       Stuart Blaik- again didn't have much to do but tidied up nicely with some great
                          defensive headers.

       Darren Dykes- made some quality runs down the right hand side which didn't have
                          end product from the front two. 

       Junior George-  didn't have one of his better games but got the goal we needed
                          to give the hole team and Robins fans a buzz.

       Adam Turner- aggressive, quality game from the midfield terrier, sweeping some
                          great fifty yard balls to Darren Dykes.

       Moses Olaleye- didn't have one of his better games tonight, but showed great feet and
                          touch throughout the game. 


Buckingham Town 4 VS 2 Cogenhoe United.

    Cogenhoe kicked off with an early attack, but were unable too break through Buckingham Town's strong defence. Town broke through the Cogenhoe midfield and won a free kick just inside the opponents half. A good free kick was delivered to the back post where Blaikey was willing to risk an injury to win the header. Cogenhoe soon came back for more and this time they were successful and took an early lead through Ben Foster. 0-1. The Robins got off to a bad start and were unable to keep possession consistently.

     Buckingham began to find their feet and started to look more and more like the true Robins. Abdul Abdi performed his own magic on his birthday with some beautiful flicks and tricks, he won a corner, which was completely wasted. After some good work by Buckingham Town they were rewarded with a penalty. Meshach Cole placed the ball firmly into the top right corner of the net. 1-1.

     Darren Dykes showed what he is really capable of with a quality run down the right wing taking several Cogenhoe players on, and delivered a peach of a ball towards the front post where Abdul was running in at an angle to get across the defender and slot the ball home coolly on his birthday.


Substitution: Ruben Max-Grant on for Birthday Boy Abdul Abdi.
     Good free kick by Dykesy unfortunately it was deflected, but there was a scramble in the box which ended when Ruben was caught offside. Again Darren Dykes with another brilliant build up passed to Meshach Cole who was brought down by the goal keeper in the area. Penalty to Town, again Shach stepped up and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom right hand corner. 3-1.

Substitution: Marcus McGillycuddy on for Moses Olaleye.

      Buckingham Town gradually pushed through the Cogenhoe defence but were unable to finish.

Substitution: Aaron Brennan on for Gary Hutchinson.

        Cogenhoe player was all over Stuart Blaik but the referee thought differently and awarded Cogenhoe with a penalty eight minutes from time, that was well finished by Rob Goldring. 3-2. Which set up a tense finish for the Robins fans and staff.

        Darren, with good build up play set up Ruben Max-Grant with a superb cross and a great finish by the big man. 4-2. Morell Maison celebrates in true Elvis style.
        An all round good performance from the Robins.


Player Ratings

Sean Griffiths (7)
Stuart Blaik (8)
Phil Turner (7)
Moses Olaleye (6)
Dean Chapman (6)
Junior George (7)
Nathan Bailey (5)
Gary Hutchinson (6.5)
Meshach Cole (8.5)
Abdul Abdi (8)
Darren Dykes (8.5)


Ruben Max-Grant (8)
Marcus McGillycuddy (9)

Stuart Blaik

Congratulations to Dean Whittaker for the best seal impression with a ball balanced on his head we have ever seen.

By Richard Roach (Tricky Dicky)
     Callum Tychowski (Callum.t)

11 Sept 2003 From BuckinghamOnline web site at

THE score line was just about right as Buckingham Town safely negotiated last Saturday's FA Cup Preliminary Round tie with a 2-0 win over Ford Sports.

However, as against Southend Manor in the previous round, they tended to make hard work of it.
They had by far the majority of the game, but it took them over an hour to make their superiority tell.
Too often they played the ball down the middle of the park where they initially had little joy, while Darren Dykes, Lewis Julius and substitute Moses Olaleye down the flanks posed a much more potent threat.
Although Meshach Cole, Junior George and Dykes all went close, visiting striker Dunkley could well have had a first-half hat trick as Ford relied on quick breaks which, at times, troubled the Robins' defence.
He had already gone close when he was sent clear by Pearce only to scuff his shot wide. He then hooked another chance wide before his hard drive was deflected on to a post by keeper Sean Griffiths.
Dunkley was denied by Griffiths again as the second half got underway.
There were far too many stoppages for the game to really flow, but it brightened up when the Robins took the lead with a fine goal in the 65th minute – and it came from an attack down the flank.
Substitute Olaleye made a great run down the right, skipping over several tackles, before crossing to fellow-substitute Ruben Max-Grant who turned well before driving a shot wide of keeper Watts.
Max-Grant could have had another immediately afterwards, but screwed his shot wide.
However, in the 65th minute, a great ball out of defence by another substitute, Aaron Brennan, found Max-Grant wide out on the left and his pass gave Julius the chance to drive his shot just inside the near post.
It should have been 3-0 in stoppage-time as Cole ballooned over from right in front following more good work by Olaleye.
The Robins will travel to Ware in the next round.

TOWN maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a dazzling 5-0 win at Long Buckby on Tuesday evening.
With Meshach Cole grabbing a second-half hat trick to add to the two goals from Ruben Max-Grant in the first half, they tore the home side to pieces.
In fact, with a little more luck in front of goal, the winning margin could have been considerably wider.
Straight from the kick-off they took immediate control of the vital midfield area and denied the opposition both time and space, the back three were excellent and limited Long Buckby to just one shot on goal, while the pace and sharpness up front caused the home defence real problems all evening.
Long Buckby had not conceded a goal in their previous 270 minutes of league football, but the Robins took only four minutes to end that sequence.
Cole made ground down the right before delivering an out swinging cross and Max-Grant rose head and shoulders above everyone else to head home.
Seven minutes later the same player made it 2-0.
Adam Turner swung over an in swinging corner, central defender Stuart Blaik headed it back from beyond the far post and Max-Grant raced in to apply the finishing touch.
Despite withdrawing Nathan Bailey, Lewis Julius and Junior George for the second half, the Robins continued to play the home side off the park.
However, the second half was all about Meshach Cole.
On the hour he beat two men and raced away from halfway to score his first.
Similar goals followed in the 63rd and 80th minutes to complete a superb hat trick.
And it could easily have been more as Max-Grant was denied by both a post and the bar, while Aaron Brennan also hit the woodwork.


21 August 2003 From BuckinghamOnline web site at

BUCKINGHAM are joint leaders of the division after winning both their opening matches.
It's a start that has pleased manager Morell Maison.

"We have a very strong squad and are playing some good football," he said.
"I'm very happy with the start and confident we will be there or thereabouts all season.
"We're going to be tough to beat."
Abdul Abdi, playing up front in place of the unavailable Ruben Max-Grant, grabbed a hat trick as the Robins began the new season in the best possible manner last Saturday with a 4-1 win over Blackstone at Ford Meadow.
Two of their goals came in the final three minutes to give the final scoreline a rather flattering look.
But they will get better than this and there's no doubt they deserved to win and, at the end of the day, you could ask no more from a team on the opening day of the season.
Yet they were given an early shock as a long cross by Epps found Santoro almost on the by-line and he directed a header just inside the far post to give the visitors a fifth-minute lead.
The Robins were struggling to get their passing game going, although they levelled in the 15th minute. Great work by Junior George on the right byline allowed him to clip over a cross for Abdi to nod in the equaliser.
Play was still a little scrappy but, as the half progressed, so George and Nathan Bailey took a tighter grip in midfield and the Robins got on top.
Unfortunately, several chances went begging, with Darren Dykes and Meshach Cole the principal villains, and they could have paid a dear price as just before half-time an error by Phil Turner let in Santoro whose shot drifted just wide.
However, the Robins made a much more positive start to the second half and they went ahead just five minutes in.
Keeper Allen made a hash of Bailey's through pass and Dykes retrieved the ball almost on the byline and crossed for Abdi to tap in from point-blank range.
But the expected avalanche didn't materialise and the game reverted to its former scrappy affair, with Blackstone enjoying more of the play territorially without really threatening.
It was when manager Morell Maison sent on Dean Chapman for Dykes to bolster the midfield that the Robins resumed control.
And with two minutes left Moses Olaleye fed in another substitute, Gary Hutchinson, to slide in the third.
The match was in stoppage-time when Abdi rounded Allen to complete his hat trick.
On Wednesday evening, a 4-2 win over Cogenhoe gave Town maximum points from their two games.
In truth, they were far too good for their visitors, although they did take an early lead against the run of play.
The Robins continued to play at a good tempo and levelled with a superb goal. Darren Dykes left the defence for dead and crossed for Abdul Abdi to volley home.
Meshach Cole opened his season's account on the half-hour when he converted from the spot following a foul on Nathan Bailey.
Another superb move resulted in Ruben Max-Grant getting the third on 75 minutes.
Cogenhoe pulled one back from a disputed penalty, but a minute later Cole scored his second from the spot after being tripped by the keeper.